« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 7 »
reander reander
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Cambridgeshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 3/7/2007 21:52
Re: What is the Most Humane Way to Euthanize a Fish? #21
i've never had to euthanise any fish, but i'd defo use the clove oil and vodka method.

One of my books say to use a pair of scissors to kill the fish, i just can't imagine doing that. And i'd rather not put nay fish in the freezer either.
Resized Image
Fishy-Fishy Fishy-Fishy
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Moderators Advisers FK Supporter Deep End
  • Posted on: 3/7/2007 22:00
Re: What is the Most Humane Way to Euthanize a Fish? #22
Decapitation is supposed to be humane but my meat cleaver was really expensive and I use it for food so I wouldn't really want to use it on a sick fish.
EagleC EagleC
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 3/7/2007 22:02
Re: What is the Most Humane Way to Euthanize a Fish? #23
I looked into the various methods - not because I needed to I'm just odd like that - and found that after decapitation the fish (like other animals and humans) shows brain activity for 10-15 seconds. This is probably a little upsetting, although not for long.
Wurzel Wurzel
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From London
  • Posted on: 3/7/2007 22:15
Re: What is the Most Humane Way to Euthanize a Fish? #24
I suppose the only other way would be to use an air pistol to shoot it at point blank in the brain. but im guessing thats gona be a little messy and not much fun for the fish either!
cathie cathie
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Moderators Registered Users Advisers FK Supporter Caresheets Image Admin
  • Posted on: 3/7/2007 22:19
Re: What is the Most Humane Way to Euthanize a Fish? #25
i think i would def need the vodka if i tried the cleaver method ...
i do think people should keep clove oil in the house in the same way they might keep melafix etc
if anyone has any trouble getting it pm me it is very cheap in our local chemist I don't mind getting some and posting it to you
[url=http://www.bigfishcam
EagleC EagleC
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 3/7/2007 22:19
Re: What is the Most Humane Way to Euthanize a Fish? #26
Very hard to hit the fish without removing it from the water too. Thats going to cause stress. When it comes down to it, simple clove oil is the easiest and best way.

I hope I never have to try it though.
Wurzel Wurzel
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From London
  • Posted on: 3/7/2007 23:30
Re: What is the Most Humane Way to Euthanize a Fish? #27
Quote:

I hope I never have to try it though.

Amen to that!
HAROLDL HAROLDL
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From United States
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 22/9/2007 3:41
Re: What is the Most Humane Way to Euthanize a Fish? #28
I know this topic is old but, this is a fact of keeping fish. As these pets probably have the shortest lifespan of any animal that we call pet(s). I'm sure we've all had to put a fish down as humanely as possible before. But if I were a fish and had my choice, I would choose the clove and vodka method. Whenever I drink it (Vodka) I go to sleep and usually feel like I've died the next morning.
longhairedgit longhairedgit
  • Disease Adviser
  • Disease Adviser
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Group: Takin' a break...
  • Posted on: 11/10/2007 13:55
Re: What is the Most Humane Way to Euthanize a Fish? #29
I was priviledged to sit in on a euthanasia experiment on fish by PHD student several years ago, the fish were connected up to electroreceptors and the only method that actually did work with minimal nerve response was drugging with clove oil. Even vetinary usage barbituates illicited a an electrical response interpreted as pain response from the animal, as did the use of blows, alcohol, freezing (signals recieved right until the point of death), decapitation (notably decapitation gave one of the most intense electric signals that continued for several minutes).

Basically as long as you drug it with clove oil first , rendering the fish insensible, it doesnt really matter how you kill it, beheading,freezing, impact or further drugging.Beheading is kind of the ultimate "youre not coming back from that" injury, but it depends what the keepers stomach can take.

Been using clove oil for years and they pass peacefully enough, in fact clove oil is administered at low doses and the fish falls asleep. Increase the dose and leave the fish for half an hour and it never wakes up, usually dying of asphixiation in its sleep. 20 drops per gallon kills almost any fish. Just start with 5-10 drops, wait five minutes and then put the other 10 drops in. Its easy. Knocks the fish out quicker if you whisk it up beforehand in the bucket rather than just dropping it in incidentally. It may be an oil, but it diffuses into water very well if you whisk it up.

As for zoos and humane deaths -well I did work experience at a wildlife park some 17 years ago, and back then they used to kill fish by throwing them against a wall, so dont assume that zoos always have the finest animal keeping minds at their disposal. A lot of zoos are staffed by people who accept low wages and have minimal education.

High end japanese koi breeders , german aquarists and even the americans caught onto clove oil as a way of euthanising fish decades ago, its just we in old blighty seem to have been a bit slow on the uptake.
Outside of some very expensive pharmaceuticals youd need a license to own, clove oil really is the best a home aquarist can hope for. Been using it on advice from a german aquarist for the last 20 years.

Besides £2.50 a bottle available from any chemist in the dental section, with which you could euthanise a hundred fish.Theres no reason not to use it. Ps dont buy the gel .

As for never having to use it, well we all wish that, but when you encounter diseases that are incurable yet kill slowly or you have larger fish that may take weeks to die, you'll be glad of it in the end. At least you get to know that a lifelong friend has a peaceful passing, and that in the final analysis is much better than watching a fish suffer in its final moments or having to pummel a friend . Its an unpleasant reality , but a mercy , and one I think people should always give some thought to.
Fishy-Fishy Fishy-Fishy
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Moderators Advisers FK Supporter Deep End
  • Posted on: 11/10/2007 14:08
Re: What is the Most Humane Way to Euthanize a Fish? #30
Quote:

HAROLDL wrote:
I know this topic is old but, this is a fact of keeping fish. As these pets probably have the shortest lifespan of any animal that we call pet(s).

Depends on the fish. The vast majority of fish will live a good 5-10 years and some will live much longer. How long do rats live, about 3 years?

Thanks for that longhairedgit, it's nice to know there have been scientific experiments about it. I have used clove oil before and it did look peaceful for the fish but it's hard to tell without neurological experiments.