« 1 2 (3) 4 »
Jellybean Jellybean
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter Deep End
  • Posted on: 5/5/2010 11:01
Re: What the?? #21
The fabric I use at work is listed as Biocote, I added a link with a little more info, now was under the impression that it was just plain old silver nothing more nothing less, so it would be interesting to know what the (silver bullet) is composed of. Ive been having a browse, searching for any test results of its uses in an aquarium, but im not having much luck.

Surly the manufactures of the bullet had to do extensive testing on it to ensure its safety and suitability in an aquarium.

Jen
Anonymous  
Re: What the?? #22
Thing here is it is advertised in an Aquatic Gardening magazine. So really it only need be safe with plants and not fish, so that could be there get out.

I have also been trying to find out more about its manufacturer but with no success, it seems not to be listed anywhere. No information on it anywhere as to what is made of.
flappinganimal flappinganimal
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Essex
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter Caresheets
  • Posted on: 5/5/2010 13:36
Re: What the?? #23
I think the people who run the website may have designed it themselves. This is what it says in the email about it

"For those of you who have ongoing problems with Algae, our Flora APM is a great way of getting them under control, and we now have a product, which we call Silver bullet, which can be placed in the tank, lasts for ever, and will inhibit all unicellular algaes, as well as bacteria and viruses."

Still waiting for a reply to my email. If anyone with a good telephone manor wants to phone them they give a number on the website. Theyre based in Wales Jag!
Anna Robinson Anna Robinson
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Essex
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 5/5/2010 18:44
Re: What the?? #24
Silver has been used (in combination with other metals such as copper, though) to control algae in fish ponds for a while. I have no commercial connection with these products and haven't used one, but they are around. See this product here:

http://www.floatron.co.uk/
Consultant, Mars Fishcare.Resized Image
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Essex
  • Posted on: 5/5/2010 19:35
Re: What the?? #25
Still no reply from the website :-/
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 9/5/2010 17:04
Re: What the?? #26
Any update from the web seller Flaps, regarding the silver bullet? I'm watching with interest
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Essex
  • Posted on: 9/5/2010 17:05
Re: What the?? #27
Nope. Still not heard anything :-/ Might try and email them again.
Anonymous  
Re: What the?? #28
I don't live far from them I may just take a trip up and see them. I will email them that I am going and turn up when I said I will. I have also sent themn an email asking questions asking about this Silver thing, and also other questions to do with their CO2 units, I have also left to messages on their answer machine, but alas no response forthcoming. They dont seem to want to answer any questions just take our money. See how they feel when I turn up in their nurseries.
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Essex
  • Posted on: 10/5/2010 8:08
Re: What the?? #29
Nice one Jag! I hope your mission is a success. Look forward to hearing what you find
EagleC EagleC
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 7/6/2010 14:00
Re: What the?? #30
Having got an email promoting the bulletwith a 20% discount at the moment I posted the site owner a quick email a few minutes ago and got a near immediate response.

Quote:

Hello Dr Prescott,
This Silver Bullet device has created quite a stir on the website I am an adviser to:-
http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/modules/ ... =ASC&type=&mode=0&start=0

Can you offer any information as to the material, manufacturer, how it works, safety or lab testing? Anything really to elaborate on what sound like rather ambitious claims.

Kindest regards,

Steve *****.

Quote:

Dear Mr. ******,
It is Silver, which is known in many situations to have a strong antibacterial effect.

It is absolutely safe with fish, and it does work, as we use it in our Nursery in some dozens of our Tanks

More than that for proprietary reasons am not prepared to say

Dr.John R.Prescott

So basically it is silver and it does work. Which I suppose leaves you with the choice of whether you believe him enough to take a punt or remain sceptical. I have replied and asked him if the antibacterial effects will extend to killing the Nitrosomonas and Nitrospira bacteria.