MIGHTYFINN MIGHTYFINN
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Oxfordshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 22/6/2009 9:28
Re: Algae #21
hi
i noticed recently when using some chemicals in my pond-Hozelock green water treatment, i was getting some foam for a short time but then it went.It looks a bit scary at first and a bit unsightly like those little streams next to a industrial site lol!!But the chemicals are harmless to fish, it just looks a bit crap especially when we are sriving to have a clean pond with crystal clear water. So its really just about ashetics really. Hope it cleared for you cheers
finn
MIGHTYFINNMIGHTYFINN
MIGHTYFINN MIGHTYFINN
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Oxfordshire
  • Posted on: 22/6/2009 13:50
Re: Algae #22
sorry i said that treatments are harmless to fish which is not strictly true i have just read that copper traces in chemicals can affect some fish like orfes possibly frogs so i am working on that.
MIGHTYFINNMIGHTYFINN
Otter Otter
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From United States
  • Posted on: 22/6/2009 21:16
Re: Algae #23
When I used the chemical algaecide, it was only because I was restarting the pond in late fall and I didn't want a pond full of rotting algae depleting the oxygen all winter. The label on the algaecide said it causes cancer. That's probably in much higher concentrations, but why take the chance there are less toxic methods?
MIGHTYFINN MIGHTYFINN
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Oxfordshire
  • Posted on: 24/6/2009 16:30
Re: Algae #24
very true mate why take the chance unless you really have to and there areother alternatives. I have never until recently really used any kind of chemicals or additives in my ponds except for barley straw extract and bundles and recently blanket weed treatment. I have managed to control the weed by just scouping it all out with a net, a might tedious but it gives me something to do lol!!
finn
MIGHTYFINNMIGHTYFINN
Bazzer Bazzer
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Norfolk
  • Posted on: 24/6/2009 22:30
Re: Algae #25
Hi
On the foam front i noticed that if i get up early enough after daybreak (5am approx) that i have this rather high foam mound about 2" high and probably 12" diameter around some leaves of the water lily.

Usually this foam disapears by about 8am.

Normally the foam (as mentioned elsewhere) is like a chemical leak, just streaky.

Maybe some connection between plantlife consuming O2 at night and Co2 during the day...
Otter Otter
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From United States
  • Posted on: 25/6/2009 7:01
Re: Algae #26
Quote:

MIGHTYFINN wrote:
very true mate why take the chance unless you really have to and there areother alternatives. I have never until recently really used any kind of chemicals or additives in my ponds except for barley straw extract and bundles and recently blanket weed treatment. I have managed to control the weed by just scouping it all out with a net, a might tedious but it gives me something to do lol!!
finn

I put three good sized rocks in a 5 gallon bucket for ballast and pull the hair algae gently in hand over hand. I usually wind up wading and sometimes use a long handled brush to start the pull from the deeper sections. Many people hate it, but I like the stuff. The species I have is a nice shade of green and it's easy to remove the excess. I consider it part of my filtration system.