« 1 2 (3)
dundeejamie dundeejamie
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Angus
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 25/3/2009 18:17
Re: Raised Pond made from railway sleepers #21
Hi No i didn't put steel stakes into the ground, although I did hammer four inch nails into the bottom log to stop it turning whilst it was setting into the wet concrete.
The strainer posts are 150mm diameter and yes i agree i think they do look better than railway sleepers! Oh and you can get them in a 12 ft length whereas trying to get railway sleepers that lenght was nearly impossible and remember that the old ones are coated in creosote or diesel.
stupot stupot
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Lancashire
  • Posted on: 25/3/2009 18:41
Re: Raised Pond made from railway sleepers #22
Av seen these on ebay, Softwood Round Fencing Strainer 150mm x 3.0m ?22.50 each is this a good price ?
dundeejamie dundeejamie
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Angus
  • Posted on: 25/3/2009 19:56
Re: Raised Pond made from railway sleepers #23
thats not a bad price but i'd go and see them before buying as they tend to bend if their left outside to long and once they bend you'll never straight'n them again also they need to be pressure treated aswell i bought the 12ft posts but the diffrence in price between the 9 and the 12ft is considerable i had to order them in especially i also planed a 2"wide flat onto the top and bottom along the length of the log to make them easier to stack and bought lenghts of threaded galvanised bar for the bolts to tie it all together as bolts that length were extortionatly priced if you need any other advice i'd be happy to help