« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 8 »
FairgroundFish FairgroundFish
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Wiltshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 15/9/2007 23:39
Re: Newbie Fish Keeper Needs Help With Ulcers #21
The one on the yellow fish now looks similar in colour/texture to the ulcer near the orange fish's eye.
What does the orange ones ulcer look like now?
marko marko
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Derbyshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 16/9/2007 18:46
Re: Newbie Fish Keeper Needs Help With Ulcers #22
The one on the orange fish is following a similar path. The actual wound is a very similar size to how it was originally however the area around the wound is going dark and getting seems to be getting bigger.

This is the same on the lemon goldfish, the open part of the wound is similar in size to how it was originally however the area around it is getting darker.

Here's a photo of the orange fish from earlier today, unfortunately like the previous on oe the lemon goldfish I have taken it at a different height to the original photo so the perspectives are different. I would take another one but I don't really want to net the fish twice in one day.

I'm going away for a week tomorrow so the fish are going to be left alone for a week (bar being fed by a neighbour) I just hope when I get back they are showing signs of improvement.

I called into my local aquarium earlier today to ask thier advice again, they sujecteted that I should leave it for a week so see if the ulcer treament takes effect and if this doesn't try a treatment called wound seal. This is a paste you apply directly to the wound that they use on thier fish if they develop ulcers. Has anybody got experience of this treatment.

I've now got the facility to place the fish in tempoary accomodation in the form of a kiddies paddling pool sould I need to do this when I get back. I've filled it with water today so it will be sat for the week I'm away to de-chlorinate.

Attach file:

jpg  (116.69 KB)
4979_46ed6bd573de6.jpg 816X612 px
FairgroundFish FairgroundFish
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Wiltshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 16/9/2007 19:01
Re: Newbie Fish Keeper Needs Help With Ulcers #23
It is very difficult to treat, I know that. But that doesn't help, I know.

On the orange fish, it looks as though it has closed up a little, although the affected area is wider, it does not look as deep and you cant see the tissues like you could before.

I did some more Googling and spotted the paste on stuff but I could not see any in the Uk otherwise I was going to suggest it. Putting something directly on the wound would be the best bet I would think.
Glad you can get some from your lfs. Worth a try, definately.

Will look out for you when you get back to see how things are going.
Rest assured, you can't do more than you are doing at the mo, so try not to worry too much.
marko marko
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Derbyshire
  • Posted on: 16/9/2007 19:12
Re: Newbie Fish Keeper Needs Help With Ulcers #24
Thanks for the support to date fairgroundfish, when I get back I'll post an update on my poorly fish.

I'm really getting the bug for fish keeping now, think I have to get myself a fishkeeping mag to read in the airport!
marko marko
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Derbyshire
  • Posted on: 16/9/2007 19:14
Re: Newbie Fish Keeper Needs Help With Ulcers #25
Each time I've netted the fish to check wounds / photo them I've been applying a spray on ulcer/wound treatment so I hope this has been helping keep any nasty bacteria out of the wound.

But the spray on treatment doesn't seal the wound from the water so I don't know how long it lasts for. This one from my local aquarium sounds good as it should stop the water reaching the wound. If I buy it ill post the detials.
TetraLinz TetraLinz
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Tyne & Wear
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 16/9/2007 19:19
Re: Newbie Fish Keeper Needs Help With Ulcers #26
The wounds don't look so bad as they did before, marko Still as big maybe, but not as raw. I'm keeping everything crossed for you

Hurry up, enjoy your holiday, and post the results back when you come home
T.L
Resized Image
TetraLinz TetraLinz
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Tyne & Wear
  • Posted on: 16/9/2007 19:23
Re: Newbie Fish Keeper Needs Help With Ulcers #27
When you say you've taken the pictures from different angles, have you been any closer to the fish when taking the "now" photos? It's just that, upon inspection, they seem a little larger
T.L
Resized Image
marko marko
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Derbyshire
  • Posted on: 16/9/2007 19:27
Re: Newbie Fish Keeper Needs Help With Ulcers #28
The 'now' photo of the goldfish is actually taken from slightly further away than the first one, and the overall effected area bigger than the first photo.
TetraLinz TetraLinz
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Tyne & Wear
  • Posted on: 16/9/2007 19:35
Re: Newbie Fish Keeper Needs Help With Ulcers #29
I think you need to try that paste then

I'm sorry that none of the ponds advisors have been along to help you.
T.L
Resized Image
fredrick_more fredrick_more
  • Pond Moderator
  • Pond Moderator
  • From Nottinghamshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 16/9/2007 19:44
Re: Newbie Fish Keeper Needs Help With Ulcers #30
Im sorry ive only just seen this thread,

You say you are applying an unlcer/wound spray to the fish each time you net them out, is it the knockey koi spray? If so ive been having great success with it at work, they also do an anespectic gel which you can use after you've applies the spray, however something like Bonjea will also work. Also there is a product designed for anglers which will work alot better than Bonjea, its called Klin-ik by a tackle company called Kryston. These three will bacily put a flim over the wound.