« 1 ... 9 10 11 (12) 13 »
cyswork cyswork
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 21/10/2014 14:41
Re: Swimbladder Answers #111
Thank you. I actually got really worried and didn't know what to do and phoned waterlife for advice to give dosage for myxizin.

I have test strips for nitrate and nitrite reading was 0 for nitrate 0.15 for nitrite. ammonia was clear.

I've fed him a mixture of dried flakes and blood worms.. Last few days peas.

I have now done a water change 20%.

I went to a pet store to buy myxizin applied the dosage already in a separate tank he is in a 8l hospital tank. The man at the store recommended a tablet I think it's Seapets for internal bacteria, I'm not sure whether to use it, he took it out from a bulk of a box... and sold one to me he said I could use it with myxizin what do you think??
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Image Admin Caresheets Moderators Advisers
  • Posted on: 21/10/2014 14:55
Re: Swimbladder Answers #112
Quote:

cyswork wrote:
Thank you. I actually got really worried and didn't know what to do. I have test strips for nitrate and nitrite reading was 0 for nitrate 0.15 for nitrite. ammonia was clear.

Did you mean 0 for NitrIte and 0.15 for NitrAte also is there a mature filter in the hospital tank as you have put him in another tank I take it you have other fish in the 140 litre is that correct

Quote:

I've fed him a mixture of flakes and blood worms.. Last few days peas.

I have now done a water change 20%.

I went to a pet store to buy myxizin applied the dosage already in a separate tank he is in a 8l hospital tank. The man at the store recommended a tablet I think it's area pets for internal bacteria, I'm not sure whether to use it, he took it out from a bulk of a box... and sold one to me he said I could use it with myxizin what do you think??

Without knowing what the tablet is I cant say if it is safe to use along with the myxizin
cyswork cyswork
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From London
  • Posted on: 21/10/2014 15:05
Re: Swimbladder Answers #113
The filter is mature but I have put him into another tank without a filter just an air pump. I've thrown the strip away but I think it did show 0 for nitrate.

I have two other smaller fishes on the main tank.

The box had seapets in a yellow container.. and the tablets are yellow he's told me to put half a tablet, but the fish affected won't have a filter which means I assume the dosage will be different?!

I'm using water from the main tank at the moment for the hospital tank.

I'm so stressed and in distress right now!
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 21/10/2014 15:16
Re: Swimbladder Answers #114
Quote:

cyswork wrote:
The filter is mature but I have put him into another tank without a filter just an air pump. I've thrown the strip away but I think it did show 0 for nitrate.Quote:

Ahh that explains it then

I have two other smaller fishes on the main tank.

The box had seapets in a yellow container.. and the tablets are yellow he's told me to put half a tablet, but the fish affected won't have a filter which means I assume the dosage will be different?!

I'm using water from the main tank at the moment for the hospital tank.

I'm so stressed and in distress right now!

It is very stressful especially after having him for so long but because the hospital tank doesn't have a filter it wont be cycled, which means it wont be helping the sick fish I would be inclined to put him back in the main tank and treat that tank instead as the mature filter will keep the water safe will see what I can find on the tablet and get back to you ok
cyswork cyswork
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From London
  • Posted on: 21/10/2014 15:28
Re: Swimbladder Answers #115
The reason why I separated him was because one of the other fishes were trying to attack him while he was floated and not moving much :(

Thanks for the help goldy and others xx
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 21/10/2014 15:39
Re: Swimbladder Answers #116
In that case if you are happy to continue to do regular part water changes in the hospital tank then carry on as you are although I would add some fresh dechlorinated water mixed with the tanks to refresh the hospital tank this can be difficult when treating because you will be removing some of the medication when changing water
Iv not found anything on the tablet yet and curious to why he only gave you one maybe someone on here can shed some light on what they are
I would leave off feeding while treating him, he will be fine short term, hope the treatment does the trick and he bucks up but please let us know how he and you get on
cyswork cyswork
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From London
  • Posted on: 21/10/2014 15:46
Re: Swimbladder Answers #117
It just seems like the floating is more distressing to watch surprisingly! He's trying to swim and up to the top he goes exhausted! I remember the container he had, said something bacterial and sea pets as a brand.. I'm going to hold off putting it in for the moment..
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 21/10/2014 15:54
Re: Swimbladder Answers #118
Did you mention to the guy that the hospital tank didn't have a filter, the tablet may have been to add good bacteria to the tank or something similar to this stuff

http://www.seapets.co.uk/products/lat ... -pure-aquarium-balls.html

Can you not give him a ring and ask again what it was for

If you are to continue to treat him separately then I would recommend getting a larger food grade tub or bucket to keep him in as 8 litres is far to small for a goldfish and will also will be easier for you to measure the treatment

something like this http://www.wilko.com/wilko-storage-bo ... arcobalt-30l/invt/0304402
cyswork cyswork
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From London
  • Posted on: 21/10/2014 16:20
Re: Swimbladder Answers #119
I hadn't told him about it not having a filter.. I'll have to ring, good idea! He did say it was for dropsy.

Water life chemist told me to add half a ml a day for 5 days I have pipettes for that Thank goodness!!

Do you think I could add bacterlife in? That would help otherwise?

Thank you again!
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 21/10/2014 16:29
Re: Swimbladder Answers #120
I wouldn't add anything else besides the myxizin as this should cover Dropsy too and surprised the guy gave you the tablet as well
I really would get a larger tub though to give him a better chance of recovery, a larger volume of water is easier to maintain and better for the fish