« 1 ... 8 9 10 (11) 12 13 »
suey2 suey2
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Moderators Advisers Image Admin
  • Posted on: 13/1/2013 17:51
Re: Swimbladder Problem Pls Help #101
It would be handy to have the exact readings for the water test results just in case, one man's 'fine' can be another man's 'OMG!!!' It's possible she picked up an infection from somewhere, it can happen just like people can get colds. She is a little small for her age, but she's also a very respectable age for a fancy goldie. Without knowing the water tests for sure I'd hazard a guess that she's got an infection from somewhere, which has affected her buoyancy by affecting the function of the swimbladder. Add to that the fact that she's an oranda and so has a slightly comprised swimbladder anyway due to her compact body shape and she might well be struggling to recover her buoyancy even if the infection has cleared.

Live plants are nice, but don't worry that they would have prevented this from happening They do a good job by taking up some of the ammonia and nitrate from the water to use as food, but regular water changes are still needed (in most instances) to keep the water good quality.

Again, diet is important for fancies, but even with the best diet they can still suffer buoyancy issues. They're badly designed at the end of the day! If she was feeding from the top you probably would have noticed any problems a lot sooner, she would have been floaty after she'd eaten and would have gone back to normal after a few hours. Not all fancies suffer from feeding from the top, but some do so it's better to err on the side of caution and feed sinking food if possible.

If the blister/spots/any other marks have gone but she still can't swim then it sounds like she might be permanently compromised as a result of the infection. But don't worry, this isn't a death sentence Depending on how she goes, if she's eating etc. then sometimes they adapt quite well to life as 'sinkers'. I have two, one has been a 'sinker' for three years (he's about eight) but he still eats and faffs around, and given the choice I'd say he'd choose to carry on at the moment rather than be put to sleep. But it all depends very much on the individual circumstance

Check her over for any red streaks in her fins, or red patches anywhere. Have a look for any fluffy bits too. Try and get the water tested again for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate and ask to see the results and write them down so you know exactly what they were.

As a gentle tonic, in the absence of any 100% diagnosis and seeing as she's had a few meds already, I'd try 3g of aquarium salt (or sea salt from the supermarket if you can't get any aquarium salt, just make sure there are no anti-caking agents in it) per litre of water. Add 1.5g per litre on day one, then another 1.5g per litre on day two. Best way is to take a large jug of tank water, dissolve the salt in it, then slowly pour it back in and let it mix in. Salt can help with osmosis (fluid regulation through the body) and ease a bit of pressure on her system in times of stress.

HTH
It's Not Just A Fish
Kawasakisam Kawasakisam
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Nottinghamshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 13/1/2013 19:35
Re: Swimbladder Problem Pls Help #102
Thank you for all your advice. I will get the water tested and post the results, because the results will be very alien to me.

I'll add the salt too, she does still have the blister but not as big, no red spots or red streaks, as yet.

She's still feeding, but i'll deffo try the sinking pellets. The other fish has always been a bottom feeder and I must admit has never been sick in all the time i've had them, he has always seemed the more sturdy, Razzle has always been shall we say more delicate

I'll keep you posted, thanks again
suey2 suey2
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Moderators Advisers Image Admin
  • Posted on: 14/1/2013 23:16
Re: Swimbladder Problem Pls Help #103
No worries, hope she picks up a bit for you Let us know how she gets on, or if you've got any other questions
It's Not Just A Fish
cyswork cyswork
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From London
  • Posted on: 20/10/2014 23:15
Re: Swimbladder Answers #104
Hi all,
I'm desperate for some advice/reassurance please..

I've got a common goldfish that I've kept for over 10 years and recently in the last few days it's curved and floating on his side. At first I fed him peas and he seemed to recover quite quickly 12hrs approx.

Then today he's back on his side floating on the surface and his body curved. He is breathing slow and every so often tries to swim but goes back to the curved floating position. He looks tired and I even thought he had died because he wasn't moving at first! I have now put him in a hospital tank.

I tried again with the peas crushed. He ate them slowly off my hand but about 10 minutes later he seemed to have thrown that up. Not sure if he's eaten any now?

I have also noticed the top part of his fins? Seem to be showing breaks like partially eroded away or ripped..

I have a 140 litre tank with a Fluvial 4 filter.
ph nitrate nitrite ammonia levels are safe and I have done a 30 % water change a day ago.

I guess I'm quite upset (which sounds silly??) and feel quite helpless and I'm actually getting teary looking at the fish I've pretty much grown up with!

Any help advice is much appreciated.. xx
great_kahn great_kahn
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Leicestershire
  • Posted on: 20/10/2014 23:46
Re: Swimbladder Answers #105
Alright to be sad, fish are real characters, especially goldies. Sounds like he is a good age, might just be his time.

Can you post a close up of the fish in question? Also can you post the exact readings of the nitrate, nitrite, ammonia etc. Also tank temperature, aeriation etc.
cyswork cyswork
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From London
  • Posted on: 21/10/2014 0:04
Re: Swimbladder Answers #106
I can't recall the exact figures I'll redo a test and let you know. The temperature was 76f.

The tank is aerated the filter and a aeriation pump I can't seem to find a name on it though but it has two long stones for air bubbles.. I'm so bad at explaining!!

Edit: don't know why the picture isn't showing the upright position.. I can't rotate it.. Sorry!

Attach file:

jpg  (154.62 KB)
17923_544594bddeb81.jpg 1280X720 px
great_kahn great_kahn
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Leicestershire
  • Posted on: 21/10/2014 0:29
Re: Swimbladder Answers #107
Looks like it may also have popeye, can you confirm if one of the eyes is bulging out?

Can you also estimate the body length of the fish?
cyswork cyswork
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From London
  • Posted on: 21/10/2014 0:38
Re: Swimbladder Answers #108
Both eyes look The same.. length is about 4.5 inches and nearly 5 with tail

Maybe I should do another water change?
cyswork cyswork
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From London
  • Posted on: 21/10/2014 8:36
Re: Swimbladder Answers #109
I've now noticed the scales looking a bit swollen should I start octozin?? :(

Not sure how much could be seen..

Attach file:

jpg  (179.93 KB)
17923_54460cfc73fcf.jpg 1280X720 px
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Image Admin Caresheets Moderators Advisers
  • Posted on: 21/10/2014 13:14
Re: Swimbladder Answers #110
Hi there you are not being silly getting upset don't worry, we all get attached to our fish on here I have one single tail goldfish at the moment who is 15 they can live for around 25 years or more in ponds so your fish is not that old in comparison Single tail goldfish do need very large tanks because technically they are pond fish that need plenty of room to swim and grow, do you have any other fish in your 140 litre tank or is it just the one you have also the tanks temperature is a little on the warm side for goldies is this due to your central heating
Looking at the photos his eyes look fine, curving is not a good sign I am afraid it could be a bacterial infection which is effecting his swim-bladder, vitamin deficiency can also cause curvature, what do you usually feed him/her peas are a good treat but over cooking can effect the benefits
If you can give us your water readings this will help loads and save guessing if it is water related treating wont help until the water is made safe, then treat with an bacterial treatment like Esha2000

http://www.eshalabs.eu/europe/products/esha-2000supregsup.html

edit:

http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles ... -size-life-expectancy.htm