• Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Advisers Registered Users
  • Posted on: 6/6/2007 12:32
Re: Which fish? #11
Quote:

derbyno1 wrote:
go for night gobies, and maybe some archers, i had a brackiish tank which had 4 night gobnies, 2 monos, 4 figure 8 puffers and 2 archers, even a fire ell done well in the setup

great suggestions for a brackish tank.... but considering this thread was asking for suitable fish to house with mollies in a smallish tank, rather irrelevant.
Gill

Resized Image

[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm] 'CLICK ME' - 'Fishless Cycling' information - how to prepare your new t...
EagleC EagleC
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 6/6/2007 14:43
Re: Which fish? #12
but thanks anyway because as it turned out I ended up with a 100G tank not 100L. 1.22m x 60cm x 60cm

Currently I'm still building the stand and redecorating the room to house the tank. (well, splashing a coat of paint over it!)

The £100 target has been well and truly missed already unless I play with the figures and re-hide all the 'hidden' costs. Then again thats largely because I'm a fussy sod.

Anyway... the descision is still open. I'd still like to put the mollies in this 100G tank but are there a few more options available to me if I decide to go brackish?
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 6/6/2007 15:01
Re: Which fish? #13
if you are gonna have a 100g brackish tank, i would defo have something better than mollys... unless you want a lot of mollys!
you could have puffers... (and AFAIK figure 8 puffers prefer fresh water anyway... green spotteds are a brackish variety)

thats huge tho, i would love a tank that big! hurry up and get it sorted! pics please!!!
Gill

Resized Image

[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm] 'CLICK ME' - 'Fishless Cycling' information - how to prepare your new t...
EagleC EagleC
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Posted on: 6/6/2007 15:08
Re: Which fish? #14
Thing is I dont want to keep the mollies in the 'softwater' tank (actually PH 7.5 but thats too high for the neons and corys and too low for the mollies ideally!). I dont want any more mollies. They're my sons really as otherwise I'd probably be looking at re-homing them.

When the mollies come out I'll be very very slowly lowering it to ph 7 or 6.8ish.

I saw a green spotted for £80 in the lfs but it was already sold. Lovely though I sat in front of the tank for a good 30 minutes watching him! He'd eat the mollies though wouldn't he?
Fishy-Fishy Fishy-Fishy
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Moderators Advisers FK Supporter Deep End
  • Posted on: 6/6/2007 15:08
Re: Which fish? #15
I think Scats and Monos are really cool. 100 gallons gives you plenty of options! If you still wanna go brackish, there are lots of ideas here- http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/scateg.cfm?pCatId=954
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 6/6/2007 16:33
Re: Which fish? #16
Quote:

EagleC wrote:
I saw a green spotted for £80 in the lfs but it was already sold. Lovely though I sat in front of the tank for a good 30 minutes watching him! He'd eat the mollies though wouldn't he?

yeah puffer would attack and kill most likely. i didnt mean with the mollies, as an alternative... but how much... £80?? A normal green spotted puffer? mental!!! someone got mugged!

i bought my baby one for £2!! lol!

i would personally leave the mollies where they are, 7.5 is ok, not really anything like 'softwater' lol, but not really too bad for corys and neons either especially as most of the fish available will never have been near 'ideal' water chemistry for the species anyway..
Gill

Resized Image

stickthin stickthin
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Angus
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 6/6/2007 16:45
Re: Which fish? #17
Yeh, I agree with Coralline there. 7.5 isnt particularly high really and from your photos your fish seem the picture of health.

It would be better for the fish to keep your pH at a steady constant that may seem a little high than to have large fluctuations from low-high. Over time your pH should drop a little anyway with all the organic matter and such in your water but it will be very slow and will probably go unnoticed.

The chances are that your fish will have been born (or at least raised) locally and are used to the water supply in your area so they will probably be very comfortable in it.

Unless your planning on breeding them, I wouldnt worry about your neons and corys, they will be fine.
EagleC EagleC
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Posted on: 6/6/2007 20:47
Re: Which fish? #18
Looking at that list I think a pair of Topaz puffers and a dragon goby would be good but might leave the tank looking quiet... what do you think?
derbyno1 derbyno1
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Middlesex
  • Group: Takin' a break...
  • Posted on: 7/6/2007 21:11
Re: Which fish? #19
go for them i always wanted the topas pufer but i already had to many fish for my tank, a dragon goby looks cool
EagleC EagleC
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Posted on: 8/6/2007 0:21
Re: Which fish? #20

they recommend heavy planting, which suits me but what type of plants thrive in salt water?