« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 13 »
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Image Admin Caresheets Moderators Advisers
  • Posted on: 20/4/2005 13:52
Re: Swimbladder Answers #11
My Ryukin in my avatar was the same for over a year and the treatments didn't really seem to help much " remember it has to be bacterial for them to have an effect" anyway as she was eating ok I left her, some days she would be on the bottom but mostly at the top upside down, it was heartbreaking to see her like that and I did concider putting her out of her missery but then as the months passed she appeared a lot better "some can outgrow it" she still has times where she sits nose down in the corner of the tank but she has improved so much, its lovely to be able to watch her swim about normally and hover midwater without rolling, so I would give your fish time unless it get distressed, I guess you could repeat the treatment and see how you go on, and as long as your other fish is not causing any blood spots or the likes then I wouldn't worry about the nudging, it is probably making sure the one upside down is still infact alive
danilykins danilykins
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 7/1/2006 10:09
Re: Swimbladder Answers #12
Help something wierd is going on w/ my pearlscale. I just changed their water and one is swimming on its side. The last time I saw this problem in my fish it died... The other fish in my tank is a fantail and it seems to be okay. But it is swimming up at top of the tank, and seems to be trying to get air from the surface. I have an airstone in the tank but everything in the tank (plants, rocks, and whatnot) is covered in tiny air bubbles. Could it be too much air in the water? I turned down the air, but what about my fish?? will it be okay? TIAResized Image
danilykins danilykins
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • Posted on: 7/1/2006 12:05
Re: Swimbladder Answers #13
sigh now they are both swimming upside down. Should I be worried??? They don't look stressed out. The seem fine, besides the fact that they are up side down. They arnt eating the peas... When the swim down and stop swimming they bounce back up, like a balloon in water... I think they just gulped too much air.. The seem to chomp at the water when its feeding time so I think its just air in the belly. Will that fix its self?? Any help is appreciated..
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 7/1/2006 13:11
Re: Swimbladder Answers #14
Hi you say this has just happened since you did a water change, so I gather it hasn't happened before can you give us a bit of information on your tank set up, size, how long it has been set up for etc, and if you only part change the water or all at once, do you test the water for ph etc, but for now think it is best not to feed for 24 hours and see if they improve any

danilykins danilykins
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • Posted on: 7/1/2006 13:18
Re: Swimbladder Answers #15
Well I have a 10 gallon tank, 2 fish in it a goldscale and a fantail (I think) I did a full water change, I know I should only do a 3/4ths change but there tank gets mucky fast. I don't know anything about testing the waters, but I usually let the water sit for 24hrs before changing the water. And this has NEVER happened before, the pearlscale has always been a little boyant because of its shape and size but the fantail has never done anything like this. ANd it has never lasted this long before. Thanks for your help
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 7/1/2006 13:26
Re: Swimbladder Answers #16
Do you have a filter in the tank to help keep it clean the reason we test the water is because it may look fine but can be harmful to the fish basicly if you have a filter it will need to build up good bacteria to cope with the fish waste, because when they wee and breath they give off ammonia which the good bacteria nutralises to make it safe for your fish, other wise it would be like us swimming about in the toilet 'not nice' will post a link for you to read all about the Nitrogen cycle, it may sound complicated but it isn't really so don't be put off ok the sad thing is fancies are prone to swimbladder trouble but it can be caused by a few things, one being gulping air when feeding or the food swelling up inside the fish or bacterial, so by testing your water you will know it is safe for your fish ok

here's the link

http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/modules/ ... php?topic_id=559&forum=14
danilykins danilykins
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • Posted on: 7/1/2006 13:32
Re: Swimbladder Answers #17
I do have a filter in the tank and an airstone, both are made for a 10 gallon tank. I have river rocks in the bottom of it. The fantail seems to be upright right now so thats a good sign but the fan tail is still upside down, but seems to be trying to go right side up.

I was reading about the treatments of swimbladder about putting salt in the tank and feeding them frozen peas. They don't seem to want to eat right now, but what about the salt would it help?

Thanks about the advice on testing the water. I will have to wait for tomorrow to buy a kit. Its late here, Im concerned that they will not be alive when I wake up tomorrow. Should I be concerned that they would die?
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 7/1/2006 13:59
Re: Swimbladder Answers #18
Where about are you, as I take it you are not from the uk as for them dying they shouldn't if it is just air/food related, and you would only need to treat with the swimbladder stuff if it was bacterial, you could try adding a little aqaurium salt although dont think this will help the swimbladder to be honest I have had a ryukin who has suffered with swimbladder on and off for 4 years and she was fine for a while then she started floating again although is still eating which is a good sign your fish may just need to have a clear out so leave off feeding for now and see how they go on
danilykins danilykins
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • Posted on: 8/1/2006 0:57
Re: Swimbladder Answers #19
LOL Im in South Korea, but Im American. My husband is in the military. But I woke up this morning and the peas are gone and they are swimming around happily :) I am so realeaved. I looked my fantail up on the internet and Im pretty sure its really an Oranda goldfish. The LFS here isn't really a fish store. Its a flower shop with fish that they sell. They don't know what they have there. They have all kinds of fish. Unfortunatly I had two pearlscales but one died within 24hrs of buying it so I took it back and got the oranda. But anyways, thank you for all your help. I find this board really helpfull. I will definatly come back for all my fishy needs :)
Heres a picture of my babes this morning

Resized Image
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 8/1/2006 14:46
Re: Swimbladder Answers #20
Korea wow good to hear your fish are much better, orandas have a cap and it looks like he has in your photo so think you are correct