« 1 (2) 3 4 »
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Advisers Registered Users
  • Posted on: 8/9/2007 21:56
Re: Diagnosing your fish illness - #11
hmmm well fish wont usually die form not eating for 5 days, they can go much longer, so i would say they were rather ill before they stopped eating, possibly already ill when you got them. the fighter dying is more likely yo be a separate issue, as fighters arent really suitable tank mates for gouramis or angels, also fighters prefer smaller volumes of water, as swimming can be quite an effort for them. have you noticed any other behaviour from the remaining fish? and was there anything else that happened to the dead fish, did they get thin beofre they stopped eating or did you see them pass any worms or anything? i think it may be best to medicate, but best to make sure your using the rigth thing.
Gill

Resized Image

[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm] 'CLICK ME' - 'Fishless Cycling' information - how to prepare your new t...
banjo_catfish banjo_catfish
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Tyne & Wear
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 10/9/2007 11:00
Re: Diagnosing your fish illness - #12
no my fish didnt have any worms cuming from them and yes they went thin also they go disorientated i lost anuffer angel last nite and my last angel seems ill aswell im realy gutted now im oing 2 try a anti bacterial medication i think and see how it goes as for the eating thing i didnt no that they could go more than 5 days ty

Attach file:

jpg  (193.37 KB)
4978_46e515adaaa82.jpg 650X470 px
say hello to my lttle friend
jewi-lewi jewi-lewi
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Lincolnshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 19/11/2007 17:20
Re: Diagnosing your fish illness - #13
ive bin here for months and i just looked at that site and it was pretty helpful explained alot lol

now im ready lol!
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing!!!

Just Keep Swimming

Lewis
wkdsassy wkdsassy
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 18/1/2009 9:56
Re: Diagnosing your fish illness - #14
hi, just put a post on ref my goldfish who has black bruise like marks on either side of cheeks????? and can not find info any were???
smilton1 smilton1
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Devon
  • Posted on: 24/1/2009 22:02
Re: Diagnosing your fish illness - #15
Hi. I wonder if you can give me some advice. I have a 22yr goldfish who has been doing fine but over the last few months seems to be developing problems. He is blind now I think in one eye but copes well with that.

But he has developed a bulge on one side of his body and appears to toilet less (rather than little and often it's now much less frequent).

My main concern is his scales all over his body. Instead of sitting flush as you'd expect they now appear to be 'prickly', they stand out. This has only happened in the last two days. Any ideas/suggestions?

He is less energetic but eats well and doesn't seem to be experiencing any of the other conditions listed on the website.

Any advice you're able to give would be very much appreciated. He's been with me all this time and I am very attached to my little friend.

Thanks

Sally
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Advisers Registered Users
  • Posted on: 24/1/2009 23:34
Re: Diagnosing your fish illness - #16
hiya welcome to fk,
wow, congrats to you for looking after him for this long! we know they can live this long, but not very often we get to hear about them.

i have to say the prickly scales is a very bad sign, as is the lump. and sadly i really would prepare yourself for the worst. scales sticking out like that is usually a sign of fluid build up in the body which is what pushes the scales out, the lump is more than likely a tumour in such an old fish.

i wish i could suggest something to help fix him, but from what you have described i dont hink there is anything you can do.

do you have any pics of the lump and scales, would be good to see just incase i am wrong, i would love to give you better news than this.
Gill

Resized Image

[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm] 'CLICK ME' - 'Fishless Cycling' information - how to prepare your new t...
JorgAlBear JorgAlBear
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Berkshire
  • Posted on: 7/2/2009 12:54
Re: Diagnosing your fish illness - #17
Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and really need your help. One of my fish is sick and my LFS and diagnostic websites don't help, so hopefully someone on here can.
I have a 140l tank with two small plecs, three green tiger barbs, three black ruby barbs, 3 WCM minnows and 3 small loaches. I moved house two months ago, but water in both properties is exactly the same according to tests. I have no water issues in the tank, no filter problems or air problems. I have one poorly tiger barb, and he has been unwell for a couple of weeks now. He is spending most of his time lying on the bottom of the tank and is gasping slightly, I have seen him at least once every day swiming around fairly happily with the others, but as the days go on his swimming is becoming weaker. When I put food in the tank he usually tries to swim and get some, but seems to be missing it, so he is not eating well, although I have seen him get a couple of bits of food in the last week. His colour is fine, his gils and body look completely healthy, but he has lost a bit of weight. Any ideas?
longhairedgit longhairedgit
  • Disease Adviser
  • Disease Adviser
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Group: Takin' a break...
  • Posted on: 7/2/2009 13:50
Re: Diagnosing your fish illness - #18
Whats the test results? Trouble is, shops and various peoples interpretations of what a good test result actually is vary a great deal. Add to that youve got a fish showing signs of an 02 related metabolic issue, possibly with secondary parasitism , and its worth being precise.BTW youve got coldwater and trops mixed, and the shoal sizes for the barbs are too small.
Resized Image
JorgAlBear JorgAlBear
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Berkshire
  • Posted on: 7/2/2009 13:55
Re: Diagnosing your fish illness - #19
Our pH is 7.5, nitrates 5, nitrites and ammonia 0. I have an internal filter but the water is very well airated.

Which are cold water fish? The minnows?
JorgAlBear JorgAlBear
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Berkshire
  • Posted on: 7/2/2009 13:57
Re: Diagnosing your fish illness - #20
Sorry, I forgot to ask, on my barb shoal sizes, how many should we have and will our tank take the stock sizes necessary?