« 1 (2)
MalawiAquarist MalawiAquarist
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 10/8/2019 17:24
Re: Worms or Parasite? Help with diagnosis! #11
Hmm, there are 2 in the tank but the other is even more grey in colour. How can you tell and would they fill up with eggs even if there wasn't a male around?
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 10/8/2019 18:31
Re: Worms or Parasite? Help with diagnosis! #12
Have a look here for info on the species including sexing: http://www.aquariumfishparadise.com.a ... cock-aulonocara-baenschi/
Yes, females will fill with eggs in the absence of a male, but should usually reabsorb them.
MalawiAquarist MalawiAquarist
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 11/8/2019 19:35
Re: Worms or Parasite? Help with diagnosis! #13
Hey, even though these were sold to me as dragons blood peacocks I think they are in fact jewel Cichlids.

Having a research on thus fish it seems the pH is completely wrong for it, could be stressing it out and causing the bloat. Damn fish shops...
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 11/8/2019 20:44
Re: Worms or Parasite? Help with diagnosis! #14
Having looked at your pic in more detail I think you're right. They can take pH from 6-7.8 and hardness up to 18 degrees, but they're a poor match for Malawis anyway. Your best bet is to return for a refund as the shop have clearly got it wrong.
Scifly Scifly
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 18/4 1:11
Re: Worms or Parasite? Help with diagnosis! #15
Hey I know this is an old thread but I was going to point that out that these are Forest jewels from West Africa. Some people in Australia keep them with Malawian cichlids but my preference is to keep them with something like kribensis or the other West Africans. A much misunderstood species in my opinion.