Animal Welfare Vote
« 1 (2)
MalawiAquarist MalawiAquarist
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 10/8 16:24
Re: Worms or Parasite? Help with diagnosis! #11
Hmm, there are 2 in the tank but the other is even more grey in colour. How can you tell and would they fill up with eggs even if there wasn't a male around?
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 10/8 17:31
Re: Worms or Parasite? Help with diagnosis! #12
Have a look here for info on the species including sexing: http://www.aquariumfishparadise.com.a ... cock-aulonocara-baenschi/
Yes, females will fill with eggs in the absence of a male, but should usually reabsorb them.
MalawiAquarist MalawiAquarist
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 11/8 18:35
Re: Worms or Parasite? Help with diagnosis! #13
Hey, even though these were sold to me as dragons blood peacocks I think they are in fact jewel Cichlids.

Having a research on thus fish it seems the pH is completely wrong for it, could be stressing it out and causing the bloat. Damn fish shops...
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 11/8 19:44
Re: Worms or Parasite? Help with diagnosis! #14
Having looked at your pic in more detail I think you're right. They can take pH from 6-7.8 and hardness up to 18 degrees, but they're a poor match for Malawis anyway. Your best bet is to return for a refund as the shop have clearly got it wrong.