« 1 (2) 3 »
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 29/4/2014 19:54
Re: flaky white stuff and red around anus area?? #11
Oh my! That looks quite bad I'm afraid Looks to be some excess slime coat issues too (water quality) but he doesn't look in good shape at all

That fin seems to have gone completely. Did you try the Esha when first recommended?

It's not often I say this at all, but I think you should be considering euthanasia. Hard as a pet owner I know, but kinder to the fish. Do you have clove oil to hand?

It's kind and very quick.
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti
lillizzy1991 lillizzy1991
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From West Midlands
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 29/4/2014 20:01
Re: flaky white stuff and red around anus area?? #12
This happened in a day. I dont have any ammonia nitrite and 30 nitrate in my tank...what else could it be? Hes tail fell of in a day...feel worse that I could now potentially be the problem to why it happened..

Hmm I dont. i will get my husband can get some cause I cant do it. its upset me a lot but its kind as you said
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 29/4/2014 20:21
Re: flaky white stuff and red around anus area?? #13
I know I've asked a few times (no answer), but did you start with any Esha meds when first suggested? 'May' have just saved the day a bit?

Too small a tank for these fish and inadequate filtration. There is a reason FK suggests the tanks we do.

Issue seems to have progressed in the interim, very rapidly.

I do not know the history of the fish (your profile is empty, please complete) but often, there is a trail of previous care - small tanks, uncycled etc - that lead to a fish suffering like this, at this point.

Previous ammonia, nitrite blips etc that will affect a fish's immunity system, often leading to ill health and an early demise. Many of us here have seen this when we first started. Hindsight is wonderful isn't it?

OK, Linky to clove oil instructions:

http://www.wisegeek.org/what-is-the-m ... y-to-euthanize-a-fish.htm

So sorry
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From West Midlands
  • Posted on: 29/4/2014 20:31
Re: flaky white stuff and red around anus area?? #14
Sorry I did answer but it was after the picture so dont think you saw it....

No I didnt start that treatment. Couldnt find it and my postal service is unreliable at the best of times so I took the picture down to my local petstore and he advised fungal/ulcer treatment which startes yesterday.

Star (the one that is ill) was a rescue fish really. Started off bad. Thought I could give him a better life but clearly not.

Thanks for your advice
suey2 suey2
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Moderators Advisers Image Admin
  • Posted on: 3/5/2014 11:41
Re: flaky white stuff and red around anus area?? #15
Just catching up on this - is he still with us?
It's Not Just A Fish
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From West Midlands
  • Posted on: 3/5/2014 11:50
Re: flaky white stuff and red around anus area?? #16
Sadly not :(.

He was making an improvement though. I was going to put him to sleep as suggested but by morning he wasnt swimming so lopsided. Hes tail was slightly improving but i think the stress was a little much for him in the end...even though his swimming improved dramatically in the days. Its sad i moss him terribly.

So now my tank just consists of my black moor and hoping to upgrade to a bigger tank next month so he can have another friend in future.

Thanks for asking :)
suey2 suey2
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Moderators Advisers Image Admin
  • Posted on: 4/5/2014 11:57
Re: flaky white stuff and red around anus area?? #17
Aw, sorry to hear he didn't make it after improving a little Rescue fish can be especially difficult as it's hard to be completely sure what happened to them before, but good on you for trying In the event of losing tails/fins they can regain their balance once they've had a while to adapt, and the fin usually grows back so if they're strong enough to get over the first stage they can sometimes pull through. Hope the other one is doing well still
It's Not Just A Fish
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From West Midlands
  • Posted on: 4/5/2014 14:28
Re: flaky white stuff and red around anus area?? #18
Thank you for your kind words I have been feeling guilty ever since! He lost histail so quickly I dont think he coped with it. My black moor is doing excellent! I have never had a problem with him and he is thriving nicely :).
alicetyler alicetyler
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 20/12 22:06
Re: flaky white stuff and red around anus area?? #19
Hi I’m new to this website and so I wasn’t really sure where to write a new message sorry!
I’m really concerned about by coldwater black moor goldfish. I’ve had him for about 18months and he has always been healthy. However, in the last week or so he has developed a red sore around his anus. I cannot find anything online about it. I starved him for a day and he has had a couple of days of peas but it is also very like an open wound as well as swelling. I am very fond of this fish and am really worried about him.
I moved him out of his 60ltr tank into a completely clean 18ltr tank yesterday in order to treat him separately. So far I have treated him with some stuff that is supposed to fight both bacterial and fungal infections but no improvements yet. He seems more lively today and normal in himself but he does have a very sore bottom!! He is still pooing although it takes a very long time to come out.
I would be super grateful for any advice anyone may have! :)
I have uploaded a photo but I’m afraid it’s really blurry but atleast you have an idea of the size and colour of it!
alicetyler alicetyler
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 20/12 22:09
Re: flaky white stuff and red around anus area?? #20
Sorry forgot the photo!!

Attach file:

jpeg  23558_5fdfcb9f13f95.jpeg (123.10 KB)
23558_5fdfcb9f13f95.jpeg 640X1136 px