« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »
sarahwoochie sarahwoochie
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Derbyshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 11/1/2007 21:50
Re: 10 great community fish - by PFK #11
decent shoal?, about 8-10 the info on biorb said 12 small fish but that seemed too many. I was also reading about filling the tank with fish that swim in different areas, will tetras do this. There is soo much info i can see how it takes so long to get this right! i also have plastic plants is this ok for such small fish.
sarah
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Advisers Registered Users
  • Posted on: 11/1/2007 22:01
Re: 10 great community fish - by PFK #12
about 10 tetras would be ok in there, as long as you ignore bi-orb maintenance instructions. (instaed do weekly 10% wtare change, and dont replace the sponge cartridge as often as they tell you) plastic plants are a bit rubbish the thing they do best is collect algae to be honest. real ones are better, but you have to choose p[lants carefully, ones that root onto wood like java fern are best because the stuff in the bottom of the biorb isnt very root freindly.
also theres not alot of room in a bi-orb, so you would probably find a shaol of something fills the tank quite nicely, you can have some shrimps or somehitng like that inthere for extra interst, and maybe some otos (mini suckermouth catfish- very cute) but you cant have any bottome level fish because they can damage them sleves on the substrate, also because of that, its not s good idea to use sinking food inthe bi-orb as the fish cant retrieve it safely. sorry another wedge of info there!
but i thought the goldfish was in the biorb?
Gill

Resized Image

[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm] 'CLICK ME' - 'Fishless Cycling' information - how to prepare your new t...
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Derbyshire
  • Posted on: 11/1/2007 22:11
Re: 10 great community fish - by PFK #13
he is (so far poor thing) i am hoping that once he is fit i can put him into another tank i have, leaving this one free for my tropical fish, i have been asking around how to make sure the tank will be fit to receive new fish when restocked , will it carry the desease, do i need to somehow steralise it with anything, obviously i will renew all the water (is that obvious i am becoming lost!) .
i have learnt my lesson tho, no rush with these, will make sure right procedure carried out, i have left question in tropical site on how to set it up, and am doing lots of reading, (any tips?)
thanks for your help
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 11/1/2007 22:23
Re: 10 great community fish - by PFK #14
no you shouldnt need to steralise the tank, best if anything to leave it empty of fish for a week, (adding a bit a fish food to keep filter bacteria live tho) and do a good waetr change just before adding fish. i dont thnk therer is any disease going on tho, i do just think its water issue. one top tip which i was told by a very wise old fishkeeper, look after the water, and the fish will look after themselves! other than that keep doing as much research as your brain can handle! we can tell you stuff all day long, but it wont make it go in any faster, just ask questions when you need to and we'll do our best to help.
hope you can save fishy, average lifspan for a fancy is about 10 years, so he should have plenty of life left, let us know how he gets on..
Gill

Resized Image

[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm] 'CLICK ME' - 'Fishless Cycling' information - how to prepare your new t...
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Derbyshire
  • Posted on: 11/1/2007 22:25
Re: 10 great community fish - by PFK #15
real plants i am worried about, i thought that i would try these when i move to a bigger tank and have got the care of the fish right first, (never been any good at keeping plants) . i dont want to complicate things any more as i am not doing too well so far, will the plastic ones harm the fish.
sarah
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 11/1/2007 22:28
Re: 10 great community fish - by PFK #16
plastic wont harm fish no, ther are some very easy plants to grow tho, and they are useful, they will help keep the water cleaner.
Gill

Resized Image

TetraLinz TetraLinz
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Tyne & Wear
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 5/6/2007 19:30
Re: 10 great community fish - suggested by PFK #17
Thank you Goldie - I was just about to ask everyone's opinion on the cherry barb - but that post answered my first question.

Is it good as a beginner's fish?
stickthin stickthin
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Angus
  • Posted on: 5/6/2007 19:46
Re: 10 great community fish - suggested by PFK #18
Yep, cherry barbs are great first fish! They are very low maintenance and most (if not all ) are tank bred so you would have no problems feeding them the usual variety of fish food.

Try and get a small group of them, about 6-8 if possible as this will cut down on the amount of bickering. They are not aggressive fish but if you have only a few of them, say 2-3, Ive heard that they can be a bit irritable with each other and sometimes other fish.

Hope that helps.
TetraLinz TetraLinz
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Tyne & Wear
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 6/6/2007 11:59
Re: 10 great community fish - suggested by PFK #19
Quote:

stickthin wrote:

Try and get a small group of them, about 6-8 if possible as this will cut down on the amount of bickering. They are not aggressive fish but if you have only a few of them, say 2-3, Ive heard that they can be a bit irritable with each other and sometimes other fish.

Hope that helps.

Yeah, the woman at the pet shop said she'd had problems with barbs killing her shark (she didn't say which barb species or which shark she had), so I was reluctant to get them. That helps a great deal. Thanks
assn20022000 assn20022000
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 22/10/2007 11:48
Re: 10 great community fish - suggested by PFK #20
I am setting up a new tropical aquarium very soon. I wanted some neon tetras and some varieties of guppys. Would these live ok together and what else would live with them?