« 1 (2)
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 22/1/2013 19:47
Re: Ladies and Gentlemen, your best guesses please #11
Oh dear. Been watching this but unable to add anything useful I'm afraid Could just be his genes.

Only other though would be food related. What's he eating at the mo? How are the tank nitrate levels looking?

Goldies - they always make us keepers fret so much. Trops are darn easy by comparison!!!!
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti
Silverfish Silverfish
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Deep End FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 22/1/2013 19:52
Re: Ladies and Gentlemen, your best guesses please #12
I'm leaning more and more towards trops now, I think once these guys shuffle off to either the big tank in the corner or the big tank in the sky, I'm getting dwarf puffers and I'm not replacing any goldfish with any other goldfish, no matter HOW pathetic and desperate they look!

They're being fed bloodworm and brine shrimp flakes, however I have not been soaking the flakes because its the tiniest pinch of crunched up flakes, so that's something I need to be doing!

He did just wait for his brother to be head down bum-up looking for food on the bottom before darting down to him and knocking him upside down, so that's a good sign I suppose?

He's VERY oranda-shaped so I'm guessing he's got internal issues, could be special treatment from here on in :(

EDIT: Tank nitrates were at above 5 but below 10 yesterday, before a 30% water change.
Silverfish Silverfish
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Posted on: 23/1/2013 21:53
Re: Ladies and Gentlemen, your best guesses please #13
Things seem to be a bit better, he was mid to bottom level of the tank today and last night, still takes the odd trip up to the surface but not for long.

I think he takes after his mum, who is currently floating across the tank tilted to one side, even though he has his dad's looks.
Silverfish Silverfish
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Posted on: 14/3/2013 19:23
Re: Ladies and Gentlemen, your best guesses please #14
Giving up on these little dudes :/

They've both been bottom sitting for two weeks, only move to get food and even then can't seem to get off the ground, just a brief burst of swimming then a thump back down :/
If they do move, it's just to shuffle about on their stomachs, but mostly it's just sitting in the one spot.

They've also not grown at all really, they're still very very tiny, and going by everyone else's fry they should be nearly ready to go in with Mum and Dad, but they're no bigger than a cardinal tetra.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 14/3/2013 20:12
Re: Ladies and Gentlemen, your best guesses please #15
Sorry they're having such problems! Nothing helpful to suggest I'm afraid. I think it must be congenital
Silverfish Silverfish
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Posted on: 24/3/2013 0:27
Re: Ladies and Gentlemen, your best guesses please #16
Both passed on now, Wonky earlier in the week, and Zonky (my favourite) there tonight.
It was a shame, but utterly for the best, they were never going to turn out okay.

Bit relieved now, which is terrible, but after death it was easier to see all the little flaws that would have made their lives very difficult.
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Image Admin Caresheets Moderators Advisers
  • Posted on: 24/3/2013 13:55
Re: Ladies and Gentlemen, your best guesses please #17
Sorry to hear that it is always sad and upsetting but as you say bit of a relief too as you know they are not struggling any more I keep saying the same that I wont get any more goldfish once my bunch are no more as much as I get tempted in the shops by all the fancies so we will see when the time comes
suey2 suey2
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Moderators Advisers Image Admin
  • Posted on: 24/3/2013 14:35
Re: Ladies and Gentlemen, your best guesses please #18
Aw, sad news, but I understand completely how you feel about it being a bit of a relief too. They certainly had great care while they were with you
It's Not Just A Fish
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 24/3/2013 18:29
Re: Ladies and Gentlemen, your best guesses please #19
Commiserations, but totally understand the mixed emotions. Sometimes looking into the future can show that an early, peaceful demise was a more pleasant option. A short but happy life may have been the most kind to them in the end.