« 1 (2)
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 6/8/2012 11:27
Re: A.Compressiceps Sumbu #11
No, definitely not. Two males need a lot more space than that. Each male needs around 2ft in tank length to claim as a territory so in the size of tank you have it won't work. If you had two females you might be OK, but if you're buying juveniles it'll be hard to tell what you've got.
nad03 nad03
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Mid Glamorgan
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 15/8/2012 13:47
Re: A.Compressiceps Sumbu #12
My tanks gonna by ready by the end of the week so i'll be going to MA on friday to have a look at their stock. Probably going to go with some similis unless they've got any Ocellatus. Even better news,come christmas i'm going to upgrade to a Roma 200 (although the wife doesn't know it yet ). So thinking about eventual stock for that.
Obviously i'd be putting in the shellies but i'd like to add a small group of Caudopunctatus and 2 or 3 A.Calvus.
Is this doable in a 200l ? Obviously i'll have to aquascape carefully to give territories to everyone and i realise the 'puncs are a semi-shell,semi-rock dweller.
Would the Calvus decimate all my shellie fry or would 1 or 2 survive ?
Thanks.
nad03 nad03
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Mid Glamorgan
  • Posted on: 15/8/2012 13:47
Re: A.Compressiceps Sumbu #13
My tanks gonna by ready by the end of the week so i'll be going to MA on friday to have a look at their stock. Probably going to go with some similis unless they've got any Ocellatus. Even better news,come christmas i'm going to upgrade to a Roma 200 (although the wife doesn't know it yet ). So thinking about eventual stock for that.
Obviously i'd be putting in the shellies but i'd like to add a small group of Caudopunctatus and 2 or 3 A.Calvus.
Is this doable in a 200l ? Obviously i'll have to aquascape carefully to give territories to everyone and i realise the 'puncs are a semi-shell,semi-rock dweller.
Would the Calvus decimate all my shellie fry or would 1 or 2 survive ?
Thanks.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 15/8/2012 15:22
Re: A.Compressiceps Sumbu #14
It could work with sufficient rocks and shells and some careful planning. Make sure all three species have a defined "home", and I'd personally be inclined to go for the shellies, caudopunctatus and a single Calvus to avoid tthe problem of a pair forming and rehoming spares with a larger number, or aggression if you ended up with multiple males.

The Calvus will eat most of the fry, probably all as it gets bigger, though you may be lucky and have a few survive.
nad03 nad03
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Mid Glamorgan
  • Posted on: 15/8/2012 20:17
Re: A.Compressiceps Sumbu #15
Just thought a single Calvus would be a bit too shy. Had one in my old 4ft tank and didn't see a lot of him. Still my favourite fish though.Could i keep a Comp.instead of a Calvus ? Guessing they are probably the same in terms of temprament and care. Was thinking:
Shellies (similis,ocellatus,multi's,brevis).One of these spec.x 3 fish plus any fry i get between now and the new tank.
Caudopuncs x 5.
Calvus or Compressiceps x 1.

Perhaps a small group of dither fish to chill out the Alto.Realise my tank will be too small for C.Leptosoma. perhaps some P.Nigripinnis ?
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 15/8/2012 20:29
Re: A.Compressiceps Sumbu #16
Yes you can switch the Calvus for a Comp., similar nature, perhaps a little bolder and more likely to hunt the fry.

Paracyps could work, but it's usual to stock them first. They will do OK stocked second to the shellies, but best to get them in and give them time to settle before adding the punks and comp. They'll need a good rocky overhang to feel comfortable. A bit pricey as a rule too.