« 1 (2)
sjyay78 sjyay78
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Devon
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 8/10/2011 23:16
Re: Please help blood patches on beloved goldfish #11
Also if i get another filter how should i now introduce that should i run it along side the other one i have . just not sure what to do for the best .
Jellybean Jellybean
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter Deep End
  • Posted on: 9/10/2011 9:34
Re: Please help blood patches on beloved goldfish #12
I wouldn?t go for a medication in this instance, your fish sound to be suffering from ammonia and or nitrite poisoning due to the bacterial colony being lost when your filter broke. In hind sight it would have been better to try and get your mature media into the stingray.

For now, carry out 15-20% water changes daily to alleviate the symptoms, if you can get hold of a bottle of Prime or Amquel Plus you can use this in place of your water conditioner to lock in the harmful effects of ammonia and nitrite. Increase the air in your tank with an airstone, this will also help.

Water tests results when using anything that locks in ammonia and nitrite will not give you a true reading so get yourself one of These to pop in the tank to monitor it for you

If you've had a shufty at the links under my signature strip you will be aware that 60ltr is inadequate for goldies, they need 140ltr for the first fish and 40lts for subsequent fish with filtration to match.

From my own experience, filter for goldies need to be external with a shed load of room for media, they really do create a huge amount of waste so the bigger the better.
Ella Ella
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 10/10/2011 22:30
Re: Please help blood patches on beloved goldfish #13
Hi sjyay78

How are your fish doing ? Have you managed to get / order a test kit yet ?

The prime water conditioner that Jellybean mentioned is really, really good, it's not cheap but you only use a bit so it lasts ages.

Hope your fish are ok.

Ella
Fishkeeping since April 2010 (still loads to learn )

Likes a giggle