« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »
flameangel flameangel
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Wiltshire
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 10/9/2006 22:01
Re: What is Live Rock? #11
Tarek,I am answering this in the other post you started ok.
Swanny32 Swanny32
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Essex
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 1/2/2007 12:21
Re: What is Live Rock? #12
What are peoples opinions on ordering Live Rock from online? i.e. http://www.aquatic-store.co.uk/catalo ... h=82_186&products_id=1347
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Advisers Registered Users
  • Posted on: 1/2/2007 12:34
Re: What is Live Rock? #13
Quote:

imblindio wrote:
what's the best ratio for LR to water volume? Don't want to buy more than i have to at approx £11-12 per kilo!

approx 2lb/1kg per gallon, if you buy it in bulk it works out loads cheaper than buying it a kilo or two at a time. but obviousley only worth buying if your going to use it as your filtration. if you are going to use any other biological filtration, theres not much point, as its ratehr expensive decoration!
Gill

Original Image

[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm] 'CLICK ME' - 'Fishless Cycling' information - how to prepare your new t...
Swanny32 Swanny32
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Essex
  • Posted on: 2/2/2007 14:50
Re: What is Live Rock? #14
What is everyones experience/advice on purchasing live rock online?

Also, any tips on stacking it in the tank, is it best to use some kind of binding adhesive?
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 2/2/2007 15:03
Re: What is Live Rock? #15
personally would prefer to buy ti from a shop, and pick pices myself.... but thats just me!
fro stacking it, milliput is good for sticking it together,
get some eggcrate (plastic mesh stuff) for sitting rock on to stop it sinking into the sand, or you can make 'feet' out of milliput to keep them stable. but if it will balance thats good as you would be able to remove it still if you need too, so just remember that before you get trigger happy with the milliput, you might want to leave some loose!
Gill

Original Image

[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm] 'CLICK ME' - 'Fishless Cycling' information - how to prepare your new t...
ziggy ziggy
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Essex
  • Group: Registered Users LFS Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 22/2/2007 0:07
Re: What is Live Rock? #16
Quote:
TheDragonLord wrote:
levels of 30ppm (30mg/l) are safe for both fish and corals

That really depends on what corals you want to keep, SPS corals won't like those levels at all.

Agree with you on the skimmer front, and in their case more money does = better performance, it really is not something to scrimp on if you can
ziggy ziggy
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Essex
  • Posted on: 22/2/2007 0:16
Re: What is Live Rock? #17
Remember that LR is the best biological filter you can get for a marine aquarium because it's ability to go further than conventional media in the nitrogen cycle via the anaerobic areas within the rock means that a system run with this filtration can have far lower nitrate levels than say system run with external filters (assuming a good open structure to the rock with plenty of flow through it). However if you are going fish only and intend to have large messy fish then you'd be best off keeping the externals to handle the high load of waste the fish are likely to produce. If you're going fish only with reef type fish i.e. fish than can be kept with corals later on then I'd remove the biological media from the canisters and use them for phosphate remover and carbon only.

All this assumes normal stocking levels etc etc

Edit:spelling
Scooby Scooby
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Hampshire
  • Posted on: 23/2/2007 13:30
Re: What is Live Rock? #18
Hi Ziggy
I am getting a little confused hope you can help. My setup is rio 400 with 50k live rock and I have an external cannister for extra filteration(which was recommended by my LFS). My tank has been running for 2 months. I recently spoke to them about not allowing the External to go bio and he told me I needed it to go bio. However you are saying (I think) that I dont really need the external for anything else other than to house phosphate removers/carbon? Read some books that I have bought and they seem to agree with you but its not helpful when your LFS challenges what others say or books suggest. I have been using my LFS for over 10 yrs and have always found their advise correct/helpful in the past but now I am starting to have doubts about asking them anything. Can you just clarify for me. I thought I had this sorted until my LFS made his comment and now its thrown me of the rails.
thanks
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 23/2/2007 15:38
Re: What is Live Rock? #19
hey scooby,
sorry to butt it, but as ziggy not around atm, i will clarify...
you do not need the media in your external filter to go biological if you have paid out for a tank of liverock, which is itself the biological filter.
the external filter being biological will just add nitrates to your system. the rock does not do this, the rock converts the amonut of nitrate it produces back into nitrogen within the depths of the rock, which there is only limited space for this, so it cannot cope with the extra that is produced by the filter media.
their advice may be sound regarding normal fish but it sounds like they arent understanding the principal of having 'live' rock, or they just want the money from selling you the equipment and the rock!
so yes you are right, you only need your external for chemical filtration. you can put some layers of fine filter wool in ther to trap particles, but this would need cleanig out 1 a week (can be ran under the tap! Lol) to prevent it going bio. i would tend to trust books over shop staff anyway, from experience!
hope that helps
Gill

Original Image

ziggy ziggy
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Essex
  • Posted on: 23/2/2007 16:11
Re: What is Live Rock? #20
What Gill said but would re-iterate that Cannisters/trickle towers have their place with certain set up's i.e. fish only systems, but LR in a slowly and sensibly stocked reef system is the way to go IMO.