phisan phisan
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 4/9/2010 11:16
Re: Orca TL450 or 550????? #11
hello
I do agree with you Pouch that occellaris do need a small territory in fact, the only conterpart is small tank = small depolluting system ( i.e. small skimmer) and that is the bad point.
No need to fix your rocks with anything and anyway do not. Place your rocks in a stable arrangement without sand, when the whole doesn't move anyore, you'll be able to add sand afterwards.
nano 240 lite
Glenn2487 Glenn2487
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Leicestershire
  • Posted on: 4/9/2010 13:23
Re: Orca TL450 or 550????? #12
I see what you mean about the cabinet maybe being for the 550 so will hang on till get response back from them..good job you mention that How much live sand would you say i needed 10lb bag or 20? Not to sure on fish yet guys would love a clown and i do like the firefish and royal gamma, as for cleanup crew not keen on snails but would like to have a few shrimp and maybe a hermit crab, do you think that be ok?
Anonymous  
Re: Orca TL450 or 550????? #13
I'd say 20lbs to be honest, it would give you a good inch to 2 inches depth I reckon. As for clean up crew, i'd go for snails as they do the best job, i'd really recommend you change your mind on those.

Phisan, yeah having the Ocellaris would create a heavy bio load but on keeping on top of water changes is well worth it as they have great personalities. Also tank bred Ocellaris or often found to be smaller in adult size than those that are wild caught.
phisan phisan
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From -
  • Posted on: 4/9/2010 18:43
Re: Orca TL450 or 550????? #14
This is perfectly true but when I'm dealing with someone starting I always tend to be overcautious about the amount of time he/she is ready to put into the tank keeping.
I perfectly agree with you bred occelaris tend to be smaller, as all clowns raized. They sometimes tend also to havefunny behaviors: I have a couple of A.percula, the male refuses to swim deeper than a few inches ( no swim or bladder problem though).
It really is all a question of time and money investissment.
for the crew : snails are great of course, take hermit crabs of different species : best are the small tricolor, those with red legs, also a species with pink legs and orange claws (or the opposite ), and the pyjama. The green legs or the elegans grow to large and behave as bulldozers in the tank.
also avoid the temptation of the small urchin as they may not be that reef safe with soft corals and zoanthids.
for the shrimps : thor amboinensis is great in groups depending on the fishes living with them, or Lysmata sp.
the red debellius is discreet but beautiful whereas the orange/white amboinensis is tough with corals sometimes but always to be seen. avoid the camel shrimps absolutely if you fall for zoanthids. Periclimenes sp. are very beautiful transparent shrimps, rather living in symbiosis with other animals : anemones, urchins, or stars.some are cleaners as the 2 species of lysmata are.
the first crew members are to be added when the nitrite peak has disappeared, just before or at the same time of the first algal boom.
nano 240 lite
Anonymous  
Re: Orca TL450 or 550????? #15
I agree with Phisan regarding the small urchin, you may find alot of people will recommend one as an important member of your cuc but stay clear and yes being overcautious in the beginning is going to give you the best chance of success that's not in doubt.
Glenn2487 Glenn2487
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Leicestershire
  • Posted on: 4/9/2010 19:52
Re: Orca TL450 or 550????? #16
Omg all this info making my head spin lol, been doing so much reading and checking prices of stuff etc etc, but really looking forward to getting it started. Did go to local shop in leicester today 'clearwater aquatics' seems a decent place supplies RO and everything else you would need and the fish price's seem ok to.
As for the snails bouch...if there so important will have a few in
Anonymous  
Re: Orca TL450 or 550????? #17
yeah they're great, mine keep algae to a minimum and they're great scavengers aswell keeping my sandbed clean. Get a couple of nassarius for your sandbed, couple ceriths for your rocks and a couple of astrea for your glass and should get you off to a good start, try adding these after a week or so when you get your diatom bloom. You need anything with regards to pricing or kit you need just pm me and I can help you out.
Dixie Dixie
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From East Sussex
  • Posted on: 7/10/2010 9:54
Re: Orca TL450 or 550????? #18
Hi all, thanks so much for such good stuff. Just bought an Orca 450 to resume marines after 20 year gap. How things have changed! No more under gravel filters.
My tank is 3 yrs old & has been unused in a garage for some time. I've stripped it down, cleaned it thoroughly (in hot water)and am ready to reassemble and build a reef. Exciting. One big prob. My hands are too large to fit down the chamber to reconnect the skimmer to the new Maxijet 900 I just bought. How does anyone do this?
Dixie
Glenn2487 Glenn2487
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Leicestershire
  • Posted on: 7/10/2010 11:35
Re: Orca TL450 or 550????? #19
It can be very fiddly, i took my uv of the pump and i managed to just get 2 fingers on the small screwnut inside, Are you trying to attach it to the stock skimmer, as most upgrade to the wg-308 or 310 as the stock one has some design flaws, me personally i have the 310 which comes with its own pump so does not need to be attached to your maxijet. If you check articles out theres some good info on setting upthe 450/550
Dixie Dixie
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From East Sussex
  • Posted on: 7/10/2010 18:37
Re: Orca TL450 or 550????? #20
Thanks Glenn'

I'm goin' to persevere with the Boyu skimmer as I may not even need it with the setup I plan. Got my youngest daughter - with slim, but incredibly strong hands to re-fit the existing skimmer.
3 Weeks ago, when I begabn to surf for reef building stuff I read a thread on one site from a guy who described in some detail how he built his reef wall (for an Orca 450) by taking slices of cured live rock and siliconing them onto a sloping wall.
It made so much sense, but I, stupidly, did not save the website and now cannot find it.
Can anyone help?
After 20 years I'm so thrilled to be back in the marine community, no matter how limited.
Dixie