« 1 (2) 3 4 »
flappinganimal flappinganimal
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Essex
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter Caresheets
  • Posted on: 5/5/2010 9:21
Re: What the?? #11
Can anyone confirm that silver definately isnt toxic to fish or harms them in anyway?
Anonymous  
Re: What the?? #12
I have something that works really well and causes no problems to other fish. They are called Amano Shrimp. Flappi may have trouble with them in his Cichlid tank as they may get eaten but they keep the tank free of most of the algae, a little algae is not too bad as it does take in some of the traces that the plants don't. All things in moderation.
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Essex
  • Posted on: 5/5/2010 9:28
Re: What the?? #13
Ive got those in my communtiy tank, theyre good. I thought mine had been eaten by the Synos until I had a rearragne and they showed up and imeadiately shed their skin No algae in that tank!
UV sterilizers also help. But if a ?10 lump of silver does the same job then im up for that!

The hair algae in the cichlid tank is a bit of a nuisence to be honest. Weekly removal. Ive got 6 mossballs in there. Plants dont do too well because of the high PH and coral sand substrate.

Im waffling..
Jellybean Jellybean
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter Deep End
  • Posted on: 5/5/2010 9:31
Re: What the?? #14
The Romans discovered that silver purifies water, but they didn't know how it worked. Today, Nasa uses it to maintain drinking water in space, and now we are introducing it into UK hospitals.

from the artical link, if it purifies water i wouldnt have thought it could harm fish..can it?
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Essex
  • Posted on: 5/5/2010 9:34
Re: What the?? #15
I wouldnt have thought so. Im just a little apprahensive because it doesnt seem to have been tried and tested in aquariums.
Anonymous  
Re: What the?? #16
It may be Ok for the fish but silver has been known to be toxic to a lot of Bacterias, caused by Ag+ ions. These ions are taken in at up to 10% saturation by lower bacterial lifeforms, so in respect of this the silver could reduce the levels of bacterias in your filter and in the water. Silver also reduces the growth of Fungal reproduction, so this could actually help the fish as it would stop any wounds from being affected by fungus.

We would also need to know what type of silver it contains as there are many different types and variations:

Silver Oxide:- Irritates the eyes, respiratory tract and skin

Silver Nitrate:- causes corrosion

Silver is a bactericide. In water silver and silver compounds are toxic to micro organisms. Fish contain approximately 11 ppm of silver. Silver toxicity to fish is reduced by water. Depending on water hardness, the lethal concentration for freshwater fish lies between 4 and 280 ppm. Freshwater plants tolerate between 30 and 7,500 ppb silver, depending on the species. The lethal concentration for daphnia is approximately 0.25 ppb, and for amphipods at 4,500 ppb.
Jellybean Jellybean
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 5/5/2010 9:39
Re: What the?? #17
It?s the simplest of thing that are overlooked with all the chemical paraphernalia, but boffins are having a re think about things that were tried and tested by our ancestors.

Jen
Anonymous  
Re: What the?? #18
When you go back just a few years, people were given a-r-s-enic and lead and all other poisons to cure people, but even though they appeared to be getting better in actual fact they were dying from the inside out, a terrible, debilitating, gruesome death all in the name of science. But we now know better and more and more natural remedies are becoming commonplace on the medicinal market. Heavy metals have always been known to kill of micro-organisms but they were also killing off the very bacteria that could have saved our lives. Conversantly this is what has got to be monitored when adding any metals such as silver to your aquarium. It may be killing off the algae but it will also be killing off the very bacteria that help your fish thrive and survive in your tanks, the bacteria in your filters.
Jellybean Jellybean
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 5/5/2010 10:02
Re: What the?? #19
I think caution has got to be the watch word on this one, i hadnt looked at the bigger picture. so if silver inhibits bacterial reproduction what effect will it have on the filters good guys...
Anonymous  
Re: What the?? #20
Just thinking on this point, we are all actually assuming that this thing whatever it is "Does" in actual fact contain silver. The text under the picture just states "which we call Silver Bullet", but does not mention that it contains the offending metal. What it MAY contain is some other chemical that works in much the same way as that which is created by barley straw in ponds. Barley straw when floated just below the surface of the pond close to the water inlet, begins to decay, it then in this process creates a chemical, that is still not fully understood, that prevents the growth and production of many forms of coldwater algae. This chemical may react differently in tropical tanks and may affect tropical fish differently but I have put some barley straw in my new (Suey is happy now) goldie tank.

Edit//, before anybody says anything, yes the barley straw in the pond does require replacing at 6 monthly periods or when it has completely decayed unlike said Bullet which is supposed to last a lifetime. And no, for some reason it does not create ammonia as it rots unlike other organisms. This method of algae control has been around longer than many of the manufactured products on the market, because it works.