« 1 (2) 3 4 »
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 12/1/2010 21:55
Re: compatible fish? #11
Tough one this, I'm sorry but if you are up to it, some observations noted.

No actual tank readings posted yet for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH. These are quite crucial if you are seeking help here on care and stocking. Check out the API Freshwater Master Test Kit on Ebay, crucial if you don't have one already, about ?15, but double that in the shops and it lasts for about a year. Also look at the care sheets on the left top hand menu, lot?s of help

Clowns, as already stated not suited to 95 litres. They get big, real big and are very social as Fizzi has posted. The Golden Alage Eater can grow up to 20-25cm and whilst placid as babies, turn quite nasty as adults, sometimes not eating algae at all and sucking onto the slime coat of other fish causing lesions.

Tetras, if you would like to stock medium to long term (if the clowns/GAE can be taken out of the equation) are soft acidic water fish needing pH of 6.4 to 6.8 ideally, hence we will need your pH readings from the tank. Shoaling so they need to be kept in groups of at least 6 min. IMHO you need to stock 10-15 plus to see natural behaviour really. Your tank could house a goodish - medium sized shoal though at 95 litres

The slimy algae sounds like Blue Green Algae (BGA), which no fish will touch TBH and needs to be removed as soon as seen. Technically not algae but bacterial. Can be associated with high nitrate but other causes too.

Rehoming stock when they are pets is terribly hard I know, but given the clowns, unless you can upsize considerably, I can't think of another remedy. A good LFS or local fish fanciers society may give more peace of mind if you choose that avenue.
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti
melanie22282 melanie22282
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Kent
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 12/1/2010 22:10
Re: compatible fish? #12
Have been removing the algae with the syphon.

As far as my LFS is concerned I'm starting to get a bit angry with them now seeing as they sold me 2 loaches knowing my tank capacity, seems to me they were more interested in the ?8 a piece the loach cost me. Am I'm not convinced anyone would take on a huge adult GAE :(
TetraLinz TetraLinz
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Tyne & Wear
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 12/1/2010 22:14
Re: compatible fish? #13
Melanie, is there any chance of you posting a pic of the algae eater? There are a lot of fish known as algae eaters, and some don't grow that large (Otos, for example). The gold colour is probably a colour morph.

Most LFS are more interested in the till than in the fish's health and wellbeing though, unfortunately. Far better to carry out your own research than to rely on them.
T.L
Resized Image
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 12/1/2010 22:20
Re: compatible fish? #14
I know, pennies in the till and all that!

In the meantime whilst you digest, keep on top of the BGA with the syphon. Hide that tub of food and I'd really recommend you get that test kit so you are not relying on the local shop. Some LFS are great and honest, I've only found 2 in 4 years though now, TBH. Many are profit led. Good job you found this site hey?

Everyone here donates time for free, experience led only and we don't charge, nothing in it for us! Can't say we are more unbiased than that really LOL. Hard decisions ahead ahead, I appreciate. Good luck.

Edit// Clashed with Linz, she's a fast typer
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Kent
  • Posted on: 12/1/2010 22:32
Re: compatible fish? #15
Apologies for quality but he keeps hiding..
he is about 5 inches in length i think.
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Kent
  • Posted on: 12/1/2010 22:42
Re: compatible fish? #16
not letting me add jpg files of 260 KB??
i'm not having much luck am i
Fizz Fizz
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Hertfordshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter Deep End
  • Posted on: 12/1/2010 22:43
Re: compatible fish? #17
I couldn't find the photo

How big were the clowns when you bought them? My tiddlers (not so tiddly now tbh) cost ?4.50 each. At ?8 they were either bigger fish or the lfs has been taking the mick somewhat with their pricing

And you do have every right to be angry with the bad advice you have been given from the lfs. It's such a shame - because it happens all the time.

Btw - what happened to your goldies?

Fizz
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 12/1/2010 22:46
Re: compatible fish? #18
No pic loaded but Otocinclus only get to 4-5cm so sounds like you do have a true GAE.
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Kent
  • Posted on: 12/1/2010 22:49
Re: compatible fish? #19
The loach were about 3 inches when I got them I think.

My goldfish all died, think an internal bacteria inside the male killed all the other fish before finally getting to him RIP

Shame as well as they had such big personalities.

So I made a fresh start with the tropical fish.
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Kent
  • Posted on: 12/1/2010 22:59
Re: compatible fish? #20
every time i try and upload it says 'taking you back to where you were'..?