« 1 (2) 3 »
gazza67 gazza67
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Devon
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 14/6/2009 11:34
Re: Algae #11
Me personally am feeding them Tetra Pond Variety Sticks, i've eight shubunkins and a goldfish.
fredrick_more fredrick_more
  • Pond Moderator
  • Pond Moderator
  • From Nottinghamshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 14/6/2009 21:28
Re: Algae #12
And how often and how much are you feeding?
gazza67 gazza67
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Devon
  • Posted on: 15/6/2009 10:24
Re: Algae #13
Feeding twice a day about a quarter of what the lid holds, i'd say about 30 pellets each time (break them up a bit as they're new young fish.
  • Pond Moderator
  • Pond Moderator
  • From Nottinghamshire
  • Posted on: 17/6/2009 12:27
Re: Algae #14
Get rid of the foam (by treatment or sticking hose in the pond and allow it to over flow off) and then cut back on feeding and see if it helps.
gazza67 gazza67
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Devon
  • Posted on: 17/6/2009 13:24
Re: Algae #15
I cut down when i saw you said i might be overfeeding and the foam is decreasing.
So again i bow to your superior knowledge!
Just checking that the foam wouldn't be a problem for fish, all other readings show water is excellent quality.
Thanks.
  • Pond Moderator
  • Pond Moderator
  • From Nottinghamshire
  • Posted on: 17/6/2009 13:37
Re: Algae #16
More expericence rather than knowledge, working in an aquatic store you soon leard what most people do etc.

Foam would onyl cause a problem if ti covered the pond totalty which would be hard, its more very unslighty.
Jason- lager-nought Jason- lager-nought
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 17/6/2009 15:41
Re: Algae #17
Nice advice Fredrick, seems to have done the trick.

Is the foam harmful by the way?
  • Pond Moderator
  • Pond Moderator
  • From Nottinghamshire
  • Posted on: 17/6/2009 20:08
Re: Algae #18
Not unless it covers the majority of the pond and would stop the oxygen transefer from air to water.

I suppose the excess protein would help the growth of fungas and other bacterial diseases so if the fish were stressed could cause problems but thats proberly a little on the extreme side
Otter Otter
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From United States
  • Posted on: 21/6/2009 21:36
Re: Algae #19
Skasmo, I cleaned my filter and added some enzymes last night, and few hours after topping off this morning, my pond looked much like your picture. My first thought was the enzymes or something in the city water. But when I opened up the skimmer to scoop out the foam that sometimes collects on either side of the leaf basket, there was none.

Though the foam looked threateningly unfamiliar, it was just normal foam from pollen and whatnot. But my overflow had shifted slightly, allowing the the water to rise just above the skimmer weir. Hence, the skimmer stopped skimming the surface, allowing the foam to build up, and a small amount of foam that would normally go unnoticed appeared to be a major new problem.

I'm not sure if this is relevant to your situation, but my foam looked exactly like the stuff floating on your pond.
Otter Otter
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From United States
  • Posted on: 21/6/2009 22:29
Re: Algae #20
I just checked on the pond again, and not only is the surface clear now, there is only the slightest trace of foam in the skimmer, just a few transparent bubbles. The currents in the skimmer must have put the foam back into solution. There are no bubbles drifting across the pond from the waterfall either. The bubbles dissipate within about a foot, and after that, it's just clear water.

Hence I wonder if you weren't overfeeding after all. Maybe you or rain overfilled your pond. And as the water level dropped from evaporation, and skimmer started drawing from the surface again, the foam went back into solution.