« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »
lilgoldy lilgoldy
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Australia
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 19/7/2008 23:24
Re: Clown Loach & Waterlife Medication #11
Oh yes I realise it doesn't kill everything! But hey its the common stuff that can reduce the immunity to put your fish out there to get anything that might come around.

I figure I have a yearly flu shot it is only fair to ensure ALL my pets have a fair go too with whatever might help. I have dogs and sheep and chooks they are all treated the same.

Yes the expense sometimes makes you think BUT no one makes people have pets so if you cannot afford it or have no intention of looking after them properly DON"T get them.

Ask for advice and FOLLOW it when given. I do and I have. The advice given on FK is top class and people spend their time to help... in my book thats worth following!
Ickl Devil Ickl Devil
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 26/7/2008 22:24
Re: Clown Loach & Waterlife Medication #12
Hi guys, first post so forgive me if I'm asking a stupid question ... but what's this UV business. I've got a purple light and a white light at the top of my tank is one of them UV?? If not should one of them be? I want to do everything I can to ensure the happiness of my swimmers.

Secondly, the dreaded Ich is what's brought me to this site. I'm the proud owner of 2 clowns , I've 22 babies but they're my faves by far. Today I noticed one of them has a single white spot on its side. And then on further inspection I noticed 1 of my rummy tetras has 2 on its dorsal fin. I'm paranoid about losing them to Ich and want to catch it at the very first sign but don't want to treat them for it if they don't have it. How the heck do I know?? All advice greatfully received!!!
longhairedgit longhairedgit
  • Disease Adviser
  • Disease Adviser
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Group: Takin' a break...
  • Posted on: 26/7/2008 22:46
Re: Clown Loach & Waterlife Medication #13
lol, no, that sounds like ..er aquarium lights, and they certainly cant stop parasites. Were talking about inline ultraviolet water sterilisers. Like so.

http://www.reefstore.co.uk/cart/Vecto ... PK605fD3pQCFQ2qQwodz34TSQ
Resized Image
Ickl Devil Ickl Devil
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 26/7/2008 22:49
Re: Clown Loach & Waterlife Medication #14
Haha ... thanks I'll take a look at your link.
Any advice on my potential Ich? I just don't know what to do, treat or not treat that is the question
TetraLinz TetraLinz
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Tyne & Wear
  • Posted on: 26/7/2008 22:59
Re: Clown Loach & Waterlife Medication #15
Welcome to FK Ickl Devil

With whitespot, the fish looks like it's been sprinkled with salt. Post a pic if you're not sure Also, do you have any readings for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH and temperature?

Could you give us a list of inhabitants?
T.L
Resized Image
Ickl Devil Ickl Devil
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 26/7/2008 23:03
Re: Clown Loach & Waterlife Medication #16
Oh no, definitely only 1 spot on the clowns torso and 2 on the tetras fin. Reckon I'm being an Ich hypochondriac lol.

I've 5 Harlequin Rasbora, 5 Rummy Nose Tetra, 4 Congo Tetra, 2 Angel, 2 Clown Loach, 2 Peppered Corydora, 1 Siamese Fighter (Betta) and 1 Feather Fin Syndontis.

They're all babies, are doing well and seem quite happy.

I did my weekly water tests this morning.

PH7, Nitrate 5, Nitrite 0.3, Amonia 0.1.
I thought these were ok. What you think??
TetraLinz TetraLinz
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Tyne & Wear
  • Posted on: 26/7/2008 23:07
Re: Clown Loach & Waterlife Medication #17
No problem Any chance of that pic?
T.L
Resized Image
Ickl Devil Ickl Devil
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 26/7/2008 23:11
Re: Clown Loach & Waterlife Medication #18
I'm new on here, how do I put a pic on sorry.

He's a busy clown *that's why I like him so much* and my camera shutter might not be fast enough but I'll see what I can do.
Ickl Devil Ickl Devil
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 26/7/2008 23:22
Re: Clown Loach & Waterlife Medication #19
Quote:

Ickl Devil wrote:

I've 5 Harlequin Rasbora, 5 Rummy Nose Tetra, 4 Congo Tetra, 2 Angel, 2 Clown Loach, 2 Peppered Corydora, 1 Siamese Fighter (Betta) and 1 Feather Fin Syndontis.

I did my weekly water tests this morning.

PH7, Nitrate 5, Nitrite 0.3, Amonia 0.1.
I thought these were ok. What you think??

In addition I normally keep the temperate at 26*C / 77F but in a panic over Ich I've increased the temperature to 28*C / 82F to stop any further infection until I can establish whether they have it or not
longhairedgit longhairedgit
  • Disease Adviser
  • Disease Adviser
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Group: Takin' a break...
  • Posted on: 26/7/2008 23:53
Re: Clown Loach & Waterlife Medication #20
Ich doesnt work that way unfortunately, the higher the temp the faster it reproduces, thusly could easily make the situation worse. Below 70 f it reproduces slowly , somewhere between a week and two, in the midrange 70's its around the week to four days , in the 80's it can be every 4 days to 48 hours. Youll not save fish by hiking temps, thats something you'd do only in conjunction with meds to make sure the treatment time is short. Hiking temps on whitespot infected fish is apt to increase parasitation in half the time. Temps at which whitespot reproduction tends to fail are way into the 90's.Never hike the temps unless the meds are already in the water.The raise to 28 c wont stop it, it will actually provoke it into reproduction, potentionally increasing the problem by a factor of fifty, which is the amount of new parasites you get every time a single ich reproduces.

Clown loaches are med sensitive, its a lottery as to whether they survive treatments or not, you'd be better off with UV sterilisation TBH.
Resized Image