« 1 (2) 3 4 »
hammersuk hammersuk
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Bedfordshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 31/1/2008 11:59
Re: Shelldwellers anyone?> #11
amazing no one has any mulites or similis! if i wanted brevis i could have about 1000 but no multies!

Tri mar and dartford have them but only deliver during the week which is no good as im not there! Hmm the search contiues!
hammersuk hammersuk
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Bedfordshire
  • Posted on: 31/1/2008 21:11
Re: Shelldwellers anyone?> #12
hmmm ok so, still on the hunt for multies however a pal has made possibly a good point. Brevis are less prolific breeders than multies. Is this true? If it is then it may not be a bad thing if the multies are baby fountains of sorts. But what are the main differences and fors and againsts? Also i have pretty big escargot shells which he said may be too small for the brevis so where would ya get bigger shells? Also i havent got much substrate as i was going for multies who dont bury shells as much as brevis so would i need more substarte? Not defo going brevis just toying with the idea in case multies prove too hard to track down
cathie cathie
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Moderators Registered Users Advisers FK Supporter Caresheets Image Admin
  • Posted on: 31/1/2008 21:28
Re: Shelldwellers anyone?> #13
The thing is not only are they bigger fish, but also they are found in area of lake where shells not plentiful so a pair will share one shell. I reckon you need a muffin snail size shell. (I have got a couple of these, the alpha male sometimes uses them, none of the others do). They are quite big, although 'medium' in shelldweller terms.

http://www.cichlidbreeding.com/products.php?cat=10&pg=3
[url=http://www.bigfishcam
hammersuk hammersuk
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Bedfordshire
  • Posted on: 31/1/2008 21:33
Re: Shelldwellers anyone?> #14
hmmm n i got all me lovely escargots. well someone must have the multies somewhere. I got one last place to try tommorow n otherwise ill have to wait a month or so. What i dont want is for Spike (names julie tonight pic going on gallery in a min) to decide the whole tank is his n then attack all n sudry that join! Shame i cant rent the ret of the tank out till the multies r in to get him used to sharing the tank hehe
cathie cathie
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Moderators Registered Users Advisers FK Supporter Caresheets Image Admin
  • Posted on: 31/1/2008 21:35
Re: Shelldwellers anyone?> #15
could you put a tank divider in so he only gets half of it from now? you know those plastic ones with lots of holes in.

http://www.aquatics-online.co.uk/acat ... ue_Tank_Dividers_335.html
[url=http://www.bigfishcam
hammersuk hammersuk
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Bedfordshire
  • Posted on: 31/1/2008 21:43
Re: Shelldwellers anyone?> #16
not a bad idea. Someone else sugested a couple of danios or male guppies but i thought that was a veeeeerey bad idea. Devider sounds better unles i can get the multies this weekend
hammersuk hammersuk
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Bedfordshire
  • Posted on: 1/2/2008 13:10
Re: Shelldwellers anyone?> #17
Think im gonna have a problem with the mulites on two levels. First nobody not even a lot of lfs in london sell multies as they say they "dont sell hardly ever" so getting them is a problem but i think it would be very hard to get them to take fry even as they just dont seem intrested. Alot of them said point blank they wouldnt take a tank space up with them.

Brevis and otos however seem to do much better (not much but a few seem to sell and take them.

SO leaning poss towards brevis. I could leave some of the bigger escargot shells in case i got youngens and could track down a larger few shells easily enough.

Also could get them from the same place i got the julie which is a place i know. Seems that multies are like gold dust where we are!

Shame cos they seem cute wee things. Just dont wanna track them down and then have to beg to get rid of fry!

Seems brevis dont breed as much also!

What ya think? still as lively and characterful as the multies?
Jenkz Jenkz
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Angus
  • Posted on: 2/2/2008 10:03
Re: Shelldwellers anyone?> #18
I'm not sure if you'll have any luck, but theres quite a few listings for multies on:

http://www.aquarist-classifieds.co.uk ... _tanganyikan_cichlids.php

If you can find a local breeder who's of decent quality you may be in luck? I tried this with a local guy near me in Arbroath but he didn't get back to me so... I'd probably only do this if they allowed you to see the stock and keeping conditions first though. I suppose if you land a local expert who keeps his fish in exceptional conditions - they are likely to be in better condition than shop sourced (LHG is a good example of this)

They are much cheaper than shop sourced too.
-Tim
hammersuk hammersuk
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Bedfordshire
  • Posted on: 2/2/2008 22:21
Re: Shelldwellers anyone?> #19
One of the lfs i use in the area has said they are getting a few Lamprologus ocellatus in during the week. Looks like they use the same shells as the multies so wouldnt need to source bigger shells as with brevis. Anyone goit much experience or knowledge of these? Look nice, specially some of the colours!
TheDragonLord TheDragonLord
  • Pond Adviser
  • Pond  Adviser
  • From West Midlands
  • Group: Registered Users Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 3/2/2008 1:30
Re: Shelldwellers anyone?> #20
the ocellatus would be fine, but get a pair rather than a trio as i belive they are a tad more aggressive than multi's
There are no experts, mearly beginners who know more than others.

Support your LFS, online sites won't stay open 5 mins extra for you