« 1 (2)
kirmy kirmy
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Inverness-shire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 20/12/2007 21:27
Re: My cray is pink and has shed again!!!!!!! #11
btw you're squad look as menacing as a herd of my little ponies!
Original ImageWhite spot, plukes, flukes, dropsy,swim bladder disorder and constipated...otherwise fine thanks!
TheDragonLord TheDragonLord
  • Pond Adviser
  • Pond  Adviser
  • From West Midlands
  • Group: Registered Users Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 20/12/2007 22:21
Re: My cray is pink and has shed again!!!!!!! #12
your cray fish is like this, yes as has been said because u've over fed on the protein, but also because your water isn't suitable, it's far tooo soft, you KH and GH are far too low and your pH is low as a result, why have you left your water so long without a change? if its just due to the nitrate level then that is wrong as most other things would have been used up, the cuttlefish bone is a good idea but only put in a small piece (1" cube) to prevent it going funny and keep the rest in an air tight container
There are no experts, mearly beginners who know more than others.

Support your LFS, online sites won't stay open 5 mins extra for you
kirmy kirmy
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Inverness-shire
  • Posted on: 23/12/2007 21:58
Re: My cray is pink and has shed again!!!!!!! #13
yesss but I have done all I can to buffer this by putting coral gravel in, daily calcium suppliments and cuttle bone...AND i CHANGE THE WATER TWICE A WEEK! I have raised the Ph via chemical shite and have it currently at 7.4 and my GH is now between > than 6 and >than 10, so there! Sheesh you're a spikey one aren't you? He is also doing well and having turkey for xmas dinner and back onto vegies and calcium enriched pellets. Currently bedded down hugging turkey meat to chest and flailing a claw when I get anywhere near the glass.

Bearing in mind these animals can live in a puddle of muddy sludge and eat the corpses of dead creatures I am no doubt safe in assuming they are hardy. So apart from moving from Mallaig to live in a city with hard water what else do you suggest? Surely I have made all the adjustments possible to keep Idi going strong.
Original ImageWhite spot, plukes, flukes, dropsy,swim bladder disorder and constipated...otherwise fine thanks!
TheDragonLord TheDragonLord
  • Pond Adviser
  • Pond  Adviser
  • From West Midlands
  • Group: Registered Users Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 23/12/2007 22:44
Re: My cray is pink and has shed again!!!!!!! #14
my tap water also has a very low GH and KH reading and it buffers very well, and all water is bufferable tbh, its just if you try enough

adding a calcium carbonate and epsom salt mix would raise it without problems, and i've not come across a tank yet that it hasn't worked upon. and coral gravel works at a slow rate so is more to keep the tank parameters stable.

just because something can survive in certain conditions doesn't mean they should, bettas can survive in muddy puddles, but most of the year they are in the rice paddy fields etc

so you've tried 4 options of raising the parameters and that is all you can do? one of which wouldn't affect the water, it just gets eaten by the crayfish, thus entering its system

what i'd suggest you try, if you'll take my advice, would be to get some powdered chalk, a small tub of epsom salt (and a marine reef salt mix is an optional extra) and then put 1 teaspoon (heaped) of chalk, and one teaspoon of epsom salts (+ 2 teaspoons of marine salt if you want the extra trace elements) into a 2L pop bottle and fill with your tap water (no need for de-chlorinator) shake well so it's all suspended in the water as it wont all dissolve. add an egg cups worth of this solution to a 50L aquarium (i dunno how big this tank is) see how the water then reads after 24 hours, if its still low add another cup, and re-test the next day and so on, you only want the increase in pH to be about 0.5 of a pH a day but a little fast increase wouldn't hurt the crayfish

then if you see how much you need to add to what ever volume of water you will be changing to keep it at a better level (possibly half an egg cup per 10L, but it varies)

also, the bottle needs shaking before each use
There are no experts, mearly beginners who know more than others.

Support your LFS, online sites won't stay open 5 mins extra for you
kirmy kirmy
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Inverness-shire
  • Posted on: 24/12/2007 13:21
Re: My cray is pink and has shed again!!!!!!! #15
Sigh! You have such an arsey way of saying what is otherwise very useful information. I am not adverse to trying anything that will improve my cray's life. He has a well planted 120lt tank to himself with multile caves and climbing levels.

I was taking LHG's advice on slowly raising the parameters but am happy to try your mix as well. I apreciate your advice but please don't be so presumptuous in assuming I am unwilling or uncaring. You are offensive when you take this tact and its plainly not needed. If I didn't give a shit I wouldn't have asked for help!
gwa84 gwa84
  • Cichlid Adviser
  • Cichlid Adviser
  • From Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 27/12/2007 22:47
Re: My cray is pink and has shed again!!!!!!! #16
ok peeps time to karm i thinks sorry tdl your statements are coming across as very pushy and in my opinion rude could you think about toning it dawn a bit kirmy has been trying to improve her water quality for a while naw as i and others have given advice on haw to do so its just taking time as her local water dusant seem to change at eny rate of speed
[img]http://i275.p