(1) 2 3 »
zippy zippy
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Inverness-shire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 26/2/2007 0:53
I'm about to set up #1
Hi ok will be setting up a 180 litre (40 gal) tank soon hopefully, unless i find a larger tank for less.

I hope to put some clown fish and 1 or more anominie's into my tank and i was wondering if anyone could give me any advise on the best way to get the best results.

I've looked up a few books but I'm looking to chat with someone that allready house's these fish to see how well they got on, but any advise will be most welcome.
Kaz980 Kaz980
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Tyne & Wear
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 26/2/2007 1:34
Re: I'm about to set up #2
Hi Zippy, I've just set up a 180 RIO tank in Jan. At the mo I've got 2 black percular clowns, and a cleaner crew, I don't have an anemone in the tank so the clowns have been hosting the internal filter instead, but they seem to be very happy and are growing well.I waited almost 4 weeks after setting the tank up before I put any live stock in and the water tests had been reading correct for well over a week by then ( have you got your water testing kits they are so important?). I did treat the clowns with parasite treatment on the advise of my LFS cos of them rubbing up against the filter but after talking to the guys on here I realised they were just using it as an anemone and weren't sick.If you've any problems there'll be someone on here who'll have the answer ( I know that from experience).Good luck with your tank but beware you will become hooked immediately, I did
karen
zippy zippy
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Inverness-shire
  • Posted on: 26/2/2007 1:46
Re: I'm about to set up #3
Hi

Thanks for your post, no i don't have any testing stuff yet, actually i only have two book

I think thats quite qute how your clowns have reacted to your filter, have you thought of getting an anemone. Also what sort of lighting requirments do you need for them (anemones).

If I can get a bigger tank do you think I should go for it or am I salfer with 40gal or less????

What does LFS mean?????
ChrisEvans1001 ChrisEvans1001
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Kent
  • Posted on: 26/2/2007 2:23
Re: I'm about to set up #4
I got two clowns today. A few notes:

Buy 2 from the same tank, don't get 1 from a different tank as they may fight.

They sleep on the top on their sides, I panicked, Adam just calmed me down lol.

LFS means local fish shop.
Kaz980 Kaz980
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Tyne & Wear
  • Posted on: 26/2/2007 11:09
Re: I'm about to set up #5
yeh Chris is right both of mine sleep up at the top of the tank on their side, weird, also when you get your clowns make sure if there is a few in the tank watch them for a while and pick two that are sticking together cos they will probably already have paired off with each other. One of mine is growing faster than the other so hopefully this is the female and I'll end up with a mating pair I'm really wanting an anemone but I understand that sometimes they won't accept it when you put it in the tank,when I'm ready I'll get some advice from the forum. I'm not sure about the lighting but I've bought an arctic blue light which promotes coral growth so I hope that will be ok. They are fab fish with loads of character, you can't help but love them
karen
zippy zippy
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Inverness-shire
  • Posted on: 26/2/2007 11:58
Re: I'm about to set up #6
Ok so what hhappens after they pair of, will i get some baby fish, is it hard to get them to mate. Also are clowns livebearers.
Whats the most amount of clowns you can put together (in a 180litre tank) without any probs.
Kaz980 Kaz980
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Tyne & Wear
  • Posted on: 26/2/2007 14:35
Re: I'm about to set up #7
If you are really lucky they may breed but not necessarily. They lay eggs so you have to be careful your other tank inmates don't have them for lunch! Try to get two captive bred clowns as they are more hardy, less likely to get diseases and do not need an anemone ( they have probably never been in a tank with one). The general advice is to keep two clowns in a tank, and you should keep 1 fish per 10 litres of water so 4 fish in a 180 litre tank is ok.Read as much as you can before you buy anything and if your not sure about anything post it on the forum and someone will answer it for you, this is what I do and so far everything is going ok
karen
zippy zippy
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Inverness-shire
  • Posted on: 26/2/2007 15:41
Re: I'm about to set up #8
Is it better to house an anemone before any clowns or the other way round to get them to bond.

What is the best anemone to get for my clown's and should i get more than one (anemone).

I'm so glad I found this site as it is already been so helpfull. I enjoy looking at all the pictures and reading the caresheets.
adamcrouch adamcrouch
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 26/2/2007 16:05
Re: I'm about to set up #9
anemone :P
Kaz980 Kaz980
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Tyne & Wear
  • Posted on: 26/2/2007 17:17
Re: I'm about to set up #10
As far as I can gather the best anemone is the large stoichactis species. I'm not sure if it's best to put the anemone in first but I know someone will be able to tell you so just hang fire. I know Adam has a clown fish so maybe he'll be able to tell you.
karen