thestripeycat thestripeycat
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Lancashire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 5/7/2007 19:23
What's this then? #1
Resized Image

Can anyone tell me what these white things are that are growing on my live rock., and are they good or bad?
Resized Image
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Lancashire
  • Posted on: 5/7/2007 19:24
Re: What's this then? #2
Darn, I though it would come out bigger than that. I'll try again. I do struggle to get picture on here within the size limits!
Resized Image
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Lancashire
  • Posted on: 5/7/2007 19:29
Re: What's this then? #3
Resized Image

okay try this one!
Resized Image
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Advisers Registered Users
  • Posted on: 5/7/2007 20:03
Re: What's this then? #4
they look like barnacles to me.... not bad i dont think
Gill

Resized Image

[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm] 'CLICK ME' - 'Fishless Cycling' information - how to prepare your new t...
flameangel flameangel
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Wiltshire
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 5/7/2007 21:34
Re: What's this then? #5
look like barnacles to me too.
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Lancashire
  • Posted on: 5/7/2007 22:09
Re: What's this then? #6
It's driving me mad not knowing what everything is that's appearing on my rocks! It sprouting allsorts of stuff since it went in the new tank. Should have thought of barnacles but always imagined them being hard and these look soft.

Whats a good algae eater to add to the tank (when it's matured). Some pieces of rock have a thick furry coating of it. When I first got the crabs they cleaned the rocks up really well, but they don't seem to touch it anymore. There so many different colourd stuff growing, but it's being swamped by the green of the algae.
Resized Image
Leggy Leggy
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Surrey
  • Posted on: 6/7/2007 17:28
Re: What's this then? #7
Hi,
Those white things are Water squirts .... look at them closely and you will see them squirt out water when they help purify your tank.
They are a indication of good water quality :)
Be careful not to knock into them as they are very soft and can be easily squashed.
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Lancashire
  • Posted on: 7/7/2007 0:08
Re: What's this then? #8
OOOH your right. I've just googled water squirt images and struggled to find photos then one cropped up under the name of sea squirt, which i presume is another name for them.

I trawled through the images and found one that even shows them in the same kind of pattern as mine. I've also got other things on the back of the same piece of rock that I now know are also water squirts, but must be a different kind.

The rock I bought from one particular shop has amazing life growing on it now. It had a lot of red see weed looking stuff on and purple flower looking things on when I got it, but now theres even more unusual things appearing. I've also got a few fan worms cropping up all over the place. I just need something that loves eating green algae as these is loads of it growing.

Are these fan worms okay too? Hoping to get the rest of the rock this weekend so will be going back to the same shop the good stuff came from.
Resized Image
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Advisers Registered Users
  • Posted on: 7/7/2007 1:06
Re: What's this then? #9
yes fan worms are ok too, didnt think of water squirts... but cool! i have seen one at my lfs, its quite big tho.. nothing like those little ones!
Gill

Resized Image

[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm] 'CLICK ME' - 'Fishless Cycling' information - how to prepare your new t...
Leggy Leggy
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Surrey
  • Posted on: 7/7/2007 3:58
Re: What's this then? #10
Yes I was ment to write sea squirt >.< lol.
These can spread very quickly if conditions are good - the patterns are truely amazing. I assume you just noticed them recently, give them a few more weeks and you will notice that their colour will grow very strong - really nice contrast against the LR. They will also get very plump and you then can see them pump the water out in rythm.