gloom_kitty gloom_kitty
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Essex
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 23/6/2007 22:09
sand vs gravel #1
hey guys

ive never used sand but when i move later this year i was thinking about putting sand in my axolotl tank and using a mix of sand and fine gravel in my tropical tank.

my question is this....how hard is it to hoover the nasty stuff but leave the sand? doesnt it all get messy and cloud the water?

also the fish that bury themselves in the substrate...they will be ok in sand?

EagleC EagleC
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 23/6/2007 22:31
Re: sand vs gravel #2
Sands fairly easy to hoover.

Not sure about the fish but I'm sure they'll love some nice soft sand to play in.
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Advisers Registered Users
  • Posted on: 23/6/2007 23:00
Re: sand vs gravel #3
fish that like to bury, would probably prefer sand, and i think sand is easier to look after coz stuff setlles on the top raather than sinks between it, so you can just hoover off the top, if you do suck any up it settles on the bottom of the bucket and you can just put it back in after.
Gill

Resized Image

[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm] 'CLICK ME' - 'Fishless Cycling' information - how to prepare your new t...
CosmoKing CosmoKing
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Avon
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 23/6/2007 23:39
Re: sand vs gravel #4
An issue would be that some plants would have trouble rooting, so maybe fill a section of the bottom with sand and the rest with gravel?
reander reander
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Cambridgeshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 24/6/2007 0:15
Re: sand vs gravel #5
I always suck up sand when i'm cleaning and i just shove it back in at the end. And my fish love to bury in it.
Resized Image
Fruitbat Fruitbat
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Isle of Wight
  • Posted on: 1/8/2007 22:33
Re: sand vs gravel #6
I read somewhere, might have been EagleC actualy, that said kids play sand is fine to use. Is that right? Because I can get 25kg for £1.50 at work rather than £4.50 for 2kg of very wet sand from lfs.

I take it it just needs washing first. I am going to try the same thing as Symmo and create an area for cory's to play in.
But why has the rum gone?
peediepixie peediepixie
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From Orkney
  • Posted on: 1/8/2007 22:45
Re: sand vs gravel #7
If you have sand, MTS's (malaysian trumpet snails) are fantastic as they burrow through the sand, keeping it aereated, and the eat all the c**p left by the fish too, totally recommend getting some if you get sand
Resized Image
EagleC EagleC
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Posted on: 1/8/2007 22:59
Re: sand vs gravel #8
Quote:

Fruitbat wrote:
I read somewhere, might have been EagleC actualy, that said kids play sand is fine to use. Is that right? Because I can get 25kg for £1.50 at work rather than £4.50 for 2kg of very wet sand from lfs.

I take it it just needs washing first. I am going to try the same thing as Symmo and create an area for cory's to play in.

I've not used playsand but know that many fishkeepers do. So long as its clean, fresh and washed its good to use but dont put it too deep.

Also probably mentioned already but if you want live plants you should add something under the sand to allow the root to feed properly, like laterite.
Deuce Deuce
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • Posted on: 1/8/2007 23:14
Re: sand vs gravel #9
Sand is really easy to clean, you can quite literally suck half of it up, swill it around in a bucket to loosen the dirt and then pour the sand back in!

Unless its a heavily planted system sand makes for a very easy to clean substrate and looks/works well to boot.
If you thought what I said was useful go here www.warehouse-aquatics.co.uk and buy some cheap stuff from my mail order site to save money! - Because thats also useful.
beeky beeky
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Wiltshire
  • Posted on: 2/8/2007 12:06
Re: sand vs gravel #10
I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but play sand can be found at the Early Learning Centre shops and various other places that sell sand for kid's sand pits. I found it looked a bit orange though when it was wet so I got some Silver Sand from a local garden centre.