john020666 john020666
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 1/6/2007 0:10
Is my Anenome dead? #1
Hi All, i m new to marines but kepts tropical for many years, i have my tank established and running relatively well, on of the anenomes i have has just shrunk and curled up, it seems like some kind of 'slimy stuff' has secreted from the mouth it hasnt moved for half the day now, is it dead, how would i know? might sound silly but i am a novice at the moment, i have attached a pic
thanks in advance guys

Attach file:

jpg  (47.35 KB)
4409_465f55fc250eb.jpg 512X480 px
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Advisers Registered Users
  • Posted on: 1/6/2007 9:37
Re: Is my Anenome dead? #2
hiya, welcome to the forum!

can you be a bit more specific about your water levels, salinity, pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate readings would be useful and any others you may have.
how long has this tank been running now and how long have you had the anemones? can you give us a list of all inhabitants, and i dont suppose you can tell us what species of anemone it is? as it looks very white on the picture which could indicate that it has lost its zooanthellae (the algae that live in its tissues)... but will wait for your water readings before guessing whats going on.
Gill

Resized Image

[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm] 'CLICK ME' - 'Fishless Cycling' information - how to prepare your new t...
john020666 john020666
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 1/6/2007 19:37
Re: Is my Anenome dead? #3
Hi thanks for the reply,
I dont know the name of the anenome, when it seemed alive it was bright white even on the underside.
my water was having a couple of problems which i have now rectified hopefully, the ph was 7.9 nitrite 0 ammonia 0 nitrate, off the scale !! it is an 180l tank with 4 clowns, 1 yellow tang, 1 regal tang, 1 small bicolour angel, 1 starfish, 1 puffer, 1 cleaner shrimp, 2 red shrimps, 1 blue leg hermit, 1 big brown hermit (about 3 inches in shell) 1 powderblue sturgeon i have 2 large leather corals and 1 medium leather, i am running 2 external filters fluval 304's 1 x internal, 2 powerheads.
I purchased the tank from a friend and it was 'established' for 18 months, when we moved the tank etc all the filters were kept in its original water as were the fish live rock etc, when moved into their new how all the original water was used plus 15 gallon of ro water added, i have added some cycle to the tank as i have added a couple of fish which are included in the above, if you need anything else please let me know
Thanks in advance
John
dragonet dragonet
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 5/6/2007 22:51
Re: Is my Anenome dead? #4
sounds a very strong possibilty as nitrates off the skale and ph is miles high

have you removed it and were gloves
shut the tank down and wait till water setles
a nem dieing in your system is fatel to all other life in the tank

godd luck let us know the outcome

Resized Image
john020666 john020666
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 7/6/2007 23:17
Re: Is my Anenome dead? #5
Hi Thanks for the reply, i removed it and isolated in my quarantine tank, it did appear to have died, i am having no problems in the main tank so looks like i removed it in time.
Thanks guys
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 7/6/2007 23:36
Re: Is my Anenome dead? #6
wow! thats a LOT of fish for a 180 litre tank! which would be why the nitrate is off the scale... and why the pH had dropped so low... i'd seriousley suggest 'thinning' the stock out a wee bit asap.. the regal tang on his own needs approx 70 gallons! are you using the two external filters as biological filtration> as that could also be adding to your nitrate problem, but first thing to sort out would be the stocking, as a suggetion, based on my 50 gallon reef, the clowns and inverts are ok for your tank, the other tangs, angel and puffer (depending on species.. is it a porcupine puffer?) need a lot more room...
do you have a salinity reading too? did you add pure ro water, or was is salted?
anemones can stay 'alive for a while after losing their zooanthellae, so would not die straight away, can be deceptive, as some malu anemones can be white...
Gill

Resized Image

[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm] 'CLICK ME' - 'Fishless Cycling' information - how to prepare your new t...
flameangel flameangel
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Wiltshire
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 10/6/2007 20:21
Re: Is my Anenome dead? #7
looks like a Malu anenome and they shouldn't be bright white when boutght. They should be an off white/creamy colour if they are healthy. He may have already started to die when you bought him. Anenomes can take a while to die off.
dragonet dragonet
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 14/6/2007 16:29
Re: Is my Anenome dead? #8
read some of my articles on nems i have been keepeing them for years now and have my own section NEM CORNER on the forum (link below) as i only post in there now and dont see a section in this forum base as to post my articles

sorry for the link but your members will come back im sure

[EDITED BY FISHADMIN - You can only post links to other forums if you are directly linking to a thread or article that is relevant to the thread on this site]
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 14/6/2007 17:47
Re: Is my Anenome dead? #9
Quote:

dragonet wrote:
dont see a section in this forum base as to post my articles

the 'marine' section is a good place... they can be stickied then... or theres a caresheets section for care info, we could do with some for anemones...

and we only object to people blatently coming on to advertise there forum and nothing else... sharing info is fine...
Gill

Resized Image

Fishadmin Fishadmin
  • Webmaster
  • Webmaster
  • From Spain
  • Group: Webmasters Registered Users LFS Caresheets Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 14/6/2007 17:58
Re: Is my Anenome dead? #10
Quote:

dragonet wrote:
as i only post in there now and dont see a section in this forum base as to post my articles

There's an article section on the menu on the left.