(1) 2 3 »
EagleC EagleC
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 27/4/2007 13:43
Which fish? #1
I want to set up a second tank in the dining room for the Mollies, but I'd like some other fish in with them too. The tank size will be what I can get off ebay or freecycle and the whole project is supposed to come in at under £100 this time! It will be a planted tank of at least 100L
Ideally the mollies would have brackish water, so what other fish would go well with them?
So far I think Platys and Bristlenose Plecs are ok... ?
reander reander
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Cambridgeshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 27/4/2007 14:26
Re: Which fish? #2
not sure about the plec, but found THIS site for you. Most of the fish grow quite large though

Also I believe plants are quite hard to keep in a brackish environment. Even normally hardy ones. THIS page gives you a short list of what usually works well.

Hope that helped a bit
EagleC EagleC
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Posted on: 27/4/2007 15:49
Re: Which fish? #3
ok, that helps a bit...
to be more specific, what if I wanted 12 mollies, 6 Angelfish and a smallish puffer in the 100G corner tank I have my eye on.... sensible or loopey?
EagleC EagleC
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Posted on: 27/4/2007 18:17
Re: Which fish? #4
0h, I was also interested in some sword tails? Assuming the tank I get is big enough in the end.

I found this while googling gouramis for reander!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ ... ish_aquarium_fish_species
It's not a very extensive list but its a start.

Any more clues?
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Advisers Registered Users
  • Posted on: 15/5/2007 12:19
Re: Which fish? #5
well for a start, unless you want crazy hybrid fish, dont mix other livebearers together. platys, swordtails, mollies are a bit genetically close and can mix and match. i think you would have enough probelms with mollie babies. no to mixing a puffer with them, puffers are generally too aggressive to mix with other fish anyway. and angels arent brackish, so no to them too!

that list of brackish fish is pretty much it... they're are not many fish (suitable for an aquarium....) that are brackish... most fish are salty of fresh exclusively....

there is only approx 1% of 29,000 fish species that live in brackish or just move between fresh and salt water anyway...
Gill

Resized Image

[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm] 'CLICK ME' - 'Fishless Cycling' information - how to prepare your new t...
Fishy-Fishy Fishy-Fishy
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Moderators Advisers FK Supporter Deep End
  • Posted on: 15/5/2007 13:03
Re: Which fish? #6
If you're going properly brackish I think bumblebee gobies are your only option. I *think* they will get on OK with the mollies but you might want to ask someomne else as well.
EagleC EagleC
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Posted on: 18/5/2007 12:59
Re: Which fish? #7
Thanks guys. I read up on the bumblebees and they seem agressive and territorial so I think this means that true brackish is pretty much not going to happen for me just yet.

Back to the drawing board...
Euryale Euryale
  • Brackish Moderator
  • Brackish Moderator
  • From Essex
  • Posted on: 18/5/2007 13:51
Re: Which fish? #8
BB gobies are the coolest fish and although they can be territorial towards each other Ive never seen them show any aggression towards other tanks mates. The key is too make sure each has there own space, a little nook/cave where they can make there home not too close to any of the other BBG's in the tank so they got there own patch. Even with each other the aggression ive seen has merely been chasing etc. Those dead coral thingies make good BBG homes and play areas. Ive always kept mine at an SG of around .005 and they've been doing well for a good few years now. They can be picky eaters though and ive read of ppl who have had to resort to live food period, though mine will take frozen easily.

Resized Image
derbyno1 derbyno1
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Middlesex
  • Group: Takin' a break...
  • Posted on: 6/6/2007 12:03
Re: Which fish? #9
go for night gobies, and maybe some archers, i had a brackiish tank which had 4 night gobnies, 2 monos, 4 figure 8 puffers and 2 archers, even a fire ell done well in the setup
Fishy-Fishy Fishy-Fishy
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Moderators Advisers FK Supporter Deep End
  • Posted on: 6/6/2007 12:19
Re: Which fish? #10
Archer fish can grow to 10 inches so they are not suitable for that size tank.