(1) 2 »
cmw328i cmw328i
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Bedfordshire
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 15/5/2007 20:13
Few questions for those with orcas #1
First of all... do any of you actually use the big black sponge? I took mine out for fear of it becoming a nitrate trap. I closed all my vents on the intake so only the surface skimmer is taking in water, and i stuffed the skimmer net with filter wool....

my other question is... I know we have a sticky with a list of "approved" nanofish... but what are you guys ACTUALLY keeping as far as fish and shrimp go? right now i have 2 fire shrimp and a pair of tank raised perc clowns. I'm looking for ideas of what else I can put in there. I'm not a huge fan of gobies at the moment, nothing against them, just not awed by them. anyone keeping a flame angel by chance?
DIVER-DEAN DIVER-DEAN
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 16/5/2007 19:19
Re: Few questions for those with orcas #2
Hi,

I do use the Big black sponge and all vents are open but i do need to take it out to clean it. As far as stock go i have 1 x Perc Clown, 2 x Cromis 1 x Cleaner Shrimp 1x Red leg Hermit and 3 x turbo snails.

next fish is a Firefish then thats it.

regards

Dean
dougal dougal
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Gloucestershire
  • Posted on: 16/5/2007 22:44
Re: Few questions for those with orcas #3
Hi

I have ditched the sponge, from my understanding it is impregnated with carbon, so would need replaceing every couple of months. (if you can get them)

I have just stuffed the compartment with fine floss which i rinse twice a week.

Dougal
tonywig tonywig
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Hampshire
  • Posted on: 17/5/2007 9:01
Re: Few questions for those with orcas #4
I've left the black sponge in but have no idea how often it should be "cleaned".
It's a bit of a pain to get out so i assumed that "rarely" would be the answer.
Any views anyone?

Has anyone else heard of it being carbon impregnated? Not something I'd heard before and I guess it may change how often it should be replaced.
All my mistakes recorded for posterity ...
My Marine Blog
cmw328i cmw328i
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Bedfordshire
  • Posted on: 17/5/2007 23:52
Re: Few questions for those with orcas #5
I havent heard about it having carbon, but then again, information on this system from the manufacturer seems scarce to begin with. Ideally, mechanical filter media should be cleaned AT LEAST once a week. I clean my floss every 1-2 days... basically whenever i notice its not white anymore.
newbie newbie
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 27/5/2007 20:34
Re: Few questions for those with orcas #6
Hi all,

That explains why i have heard reference to carbon in the Orca and had no idea where it actually was!!!

I have still got the sponge in but have not cleaned it as yet as i'm terrified of breaking the skimmer tube thingy!! As per my post in the other thread - how can i get it out safely - any tips would be appreciated.

Also how do your skimmers work as mine seems to be very temperamental and does not need 'emptying' very often!
TROPICAL: 4 WCCM's, 2 Dwarf gourami's (1 male 1 female), 2 glass shrimp, 1 male guppy, 4 platties, 2 corys, 5 neon tetras
MARINE: Orca Nano TL450 - 4 BL Hermits, 3 Turbo snails, 1 cleaner shrimp, 1 Royal Gramma
newbie newbie
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 27/5/2007 20:37
Re: Few questions for those with orcas #7
in reply to your stocking question i have sadly lost my 2 clowns recently due to a white spot outbrek but eventually i would like to replace them.

I have in there now:

1 royal Gramma
3 turbo snails
1 cleaner shrimp
4 BL hermits

and am about to introduce a Mithrax (emerald) crab to help control algae.

Aswell as the 2 clows i would also like a red firefish and that will be it all stocked up then!
TROPICAL: 4 WCCM's, 2 Dwarf gourami's (1 male 1 female), 2 glass shrimp, 1 male guppy, 4 platties, 2 corys, 5 neon tetras
MARINE: Orca Nano TL450 - 4 BL Hermits, 3 Turbo snails, 1 cleaner shrimp, 1 Royal Gramma
flameangel flameangel
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Wiltshire
  • Posted on: 27/5/2007 20:41
Re: Few questions for those with orcas #8
A flame is not an ideal choice for that tank, they will end up too big for it although they are not fast growers. Cleaner shrimp would be ok? neon gobies? difficult really, other than the recommended ones on that list
cmw328i cmw328i
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Bedfordshire
  • Posted on: 28/5/2007 18:46
Re: Few questions for those with orcas #9
yeah... i think i have enough fish for the tank with 4 of them. though my new yellow wrasse is almost always hiding. its quite beautiful when its out and about though.

and in reply to newbie... i dont even use the skimmer, i gave up trying to get it right. I just got a purple firefish, much more colourful than the standard firefish in my opinion, but also more expensive...

i have no experience with emerald crabs, but dont they get quite large?

getting the tube out is easy actually. I just pulled it out and it came out without a struggle, then again, i took it out before i set up the system
newbie newbie
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 28/5/2007 21:12
Re: Few questions for those with orcas #10
Thanks for the reply CMW - i will try to remove the foam tomorow but need to get some more RO water to help clear out any scud it dislodges in the process. I'll let you know how i get on.

Emerald crabs stay quite small (Max of about 3") and are apparantly really useful little fellas to have in a nano to help control unwanted algae (including bubble algae). I am due to go and collect one on thursday so will post pics and more information then. The following link has some basic information about them http://www.etropicals.com/product/pro ... cfm?siteid=43&pCatId=1260