FishFool FishFool
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 21/2/2004 20:02
shubunkin in a tropical tank in emergency? #1
Can a Bristol shubunkin (2 inch long excluding tail) live in a tropical fish tank for 6 weeks. Fish was bought last week and put in 100L tub outside but we have a cold snap (aitr temp 1C). I found him today floating on top and very sluggish. Gold fish bought at same time had died. Shubunkin is now inside in a Tupperware tub and has perked up. Can he room with my tropical fish (temprature76F 24C) until the weather warms up? The alternative is a bucket.

I am experienced with tropical fish, but know nothing abut coldwater fish. I don’t think a disease is involved.

Can I keep this sort of fish outside (they were sold as pond fish) in a 300L tub?

Thanks
marcshedden marcshedden
  • From Avon
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 22/2/2004 18:01
Re: shubunkin in a tropical tank in emergency? #2
Hi,
A temperature of 24 is going to stress the shubunkin excessively, especially as it has recently been exposed to very low temperatures - you might end up allowing a disease such as whitespot to come to the fore and spread to your tropicals. I would keep it on its own at room temperature until the spring/summer, when it can go back outside - you can get an adequate holding tank with equipment very cheaply these days (second hand set-ups from the local Free Ads paper might be the best way to go).
Shubunkins can be kept outside without any problems usually, but in a small tub like yours make sure you switch off the circulating pump in the winter, so a layer of slightly warmer water can form on the bottom, where the fish will stay in a semi-dormant state until the weather warms up again.
Hope that helps,
Marc
FishFool FishFool
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 23/2/2004 11:42
Re: shubunkin in a tropical tank in emergency? #3
Thanks for the advice.
OzzMosiz OzzMosiz
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 23/2/2004 22:38
Re: shubunkin in a tropical tank in emergency? #4
shift the temp no more than 4oF per 24 hours until your fish has acclimatised. Remember your goldie produces much more waste than your trops and could poison them - make sure you do clean up if and when you introduce into tropical - its certainly not ideal, but better than nothing.