systemattic systemattic
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 5/6/2004 18:03
Hard Water #1
Hi Folks...!

I'm a complete Newbie... and need some Advice...

I've got a tank setup and have added a small fantail...

(The tank was setup for a two weeks with a comet in it and then empty for 3 days before I added the fantail....)

I did a dip with my test sticks and everything "seems" fine...

[ The pH is 7.2~7.4 .. is this ok for a fantail...? ]

But the "General Hardness" of the water is high... near or over 16 degrees dH ( er.. whatever that means)

Is this a serious problem for my fantail....?

I've been looking around for some general informaiton on the requirement of fantails... ideal pH, etc... Does anyone know a good online source of info...?

Many Thanks in Advance...

Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Image Admin Caresheets Moderators Advisers
  • Posted on: 5/6/2004 18:17
Re: Hard Water #2
Hello there And welcome.
I wouldn't worry to much about the water hardness but you could find out what it was were you bought the fish from and see if there is much difference, your ph is fine they like a ph between 6.8-7.5 the main things to concentrate on are Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate and you say they are fine, what are your readings ?
Quote:
systemattic wrote
I've been looking around for some general informaiton on the requirement of fantails... ideal pH, etc... Does anyone know a good online source of info...?

yes here
Pixie Pixie
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Bedfordshire
  • Posted on: 5/6/2004 19:50
Re: Hard Water #3
I have the same situation here. Generally, my water is very hard like yours. I worried about it as well to start with but there are more serious problems than that... If you buy your fish from your area, they will be most probably 'used to' the water, so it should not cause big problems. It is very difficult to decrease GH (filter on your tap, rain water, importing water from a soft water area?). My fish has been swimmimng in my hard water for a month and seems very happy and active. I also noticed that GH went down a bit after about 20 days and is lower than the hardness of my tap water. Wonder why? Possibly due to some acids from the waste?(You can test your tap water to check if it is already hard, which is probably the case.)
Have you got any rocks in your tank? These can contribute to high GH readings because some of them release calcium.
Your ph seems great for most goldfish.
Mine is about 8 or above and I was told that it is still fine as they again 'are used to it'provided that they come from a similar environment. Any sudden changes in ph may be dangerous and fish don't like it.
If you want more info on goldfish try thegoldfishbowl.co.uk They have the Atlas of Fish where you can find info on fish profiles and the requirements.
Stay reassured you are not the only novice!
May I ask what happened with your comet?
systemattic systemattic
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 5/6/2004 23:10
Re: Hard Water #4
[reply to Goldy]
Thanks for the welcome... !

the No2 and NO3 readings were well low...
[ ~1mg/l and ~10mg/l respectively ]

but hmm.. I don;t have an ammonia test on these strips....
Have to add that to the shoping list....

:)

I bought the fish locally but it was from a chain store "pets at home", so I don't know how long it he was there or where from originally...

What's reassuring is that he seems quite happy and is quite hyperactive...

He's also eating a lot of plant!...

systemattic systemattic
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 5/6/2004 23:19
Re: Hard Water #5
[ reply to Pixie ]
well thats good news....

I don't know if the fish was from the area originally or how long he's been around but I did buy him locally...

As long as he stays happy and it's not doing any dammage that's ok...

The comet has gone over to my sister's in a big goldfish bowl for one.... Which might turn into a tank if I can get my sis enthused ... :)

Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 5/6/2004 23:21
Re: Hard Water #6
Readings for nitrite should be 0 and nitrate under 50 better below 25 so if yours is only 10 then thats perfectly fine, once the nitrite is 0 then you can rest assured that you have no ammonia left, your fish sounds happy enough so just keep up with regular part water changes and testing and you should be fine or rather your fish will
systemattic systemattic
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 5/6/2004 23:28
Re: Hard Water #7
cheers

one thing I did notice is that he is sucking a lot of bubbles at the top of the tank....looking for food I suppose..

but I am feeding with floating pellets... is that right for a fantail... ? R they surface feeders...?

hm... he seems perpetually hungry too....

Like me LOL
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 5/6/2004 23:32
Re: Hard Water #8
Goldfish always appear hungry so don't be fooled just feed about twice a day or once a day untill your nitrite readings are 0, floating pellets are ok but you have to be careful with fancy fish as if they take in too much air they can get swimbladder trouble, you could try soaking the pellets in some of the tank water first and then feed them to your fantail just to be on the safe side.