TracyS TracyS
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Essex
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 19/3/2007 10:40
Water Changes #1
This is going to sound really stupid probably but I'm a bit confused about water changes, When doing regular water changes every 2 or 3 weeks, 10% to 25%, am I right in thinking your taking 10% to 25% out and just topping it up with water on its own or does this water that your topping up have to be Salt Water at the right SG Level of course.

I'm sure I've read here its just pure water your topping it back up with but after thinking about this it then confused me a bit because surely your then diluting your Salt Water thats in the tank and this is then lowering your SG Levels.

Hope this makes sence and would just appreciate someone explaining the water change process on here please, and sorry if this sounds stupid
Fishy-Fishy Fishy-Fishy
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Moderators Advisers FK Supporter Deep End
  • Posted on: 19/3/2007 10:52
Re: Water Changes #2
HI Tracy,

If you are taking water out then you need to add salt etc to the water you are putting back in because when you remove water you are also removing the minerals. If you are just topping up due to evaporation then you can use pure water because minerals don't evaporate, they stay in the tank. Hope that makes sense!

How come you are only changing water every 2 to 3 weeks, this doesn't sound very often for a marine tank
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Advisers Registered Users
  • Posted on: 19/3/2007 11:00
Re: Water Changes #3
you 'top up' evaporaation with pure water otherwise you would make it too salty, but any water you remove from the tank needs to be replaced with water of the correct salinity. you should check sality of water currently in tank and new water each time to make sure its the same. also check the salinity in the tank if evapration occurs and you are topping up with pure water to keep an eye on it.
Gill

Resized Image

[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm] 'CLICK ME' - 'Fishless Cycling' information - how to prepare your new t...
TracyS TracyS
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Essex
  • Posted on: 19/3/2007 11:55
Re: Water Changes #4
I'm not actually thats a lie, I've been doing a water change every week so far, would you say stick to once a week? 10% or more?,

The water Change process is all making sence now and that is what I was thinking and is what I have been doing, just got a little confused and wanted to clear that up,

Thanks everyone
craigieboi craigieboi
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Midlothian
  • Posted on: 19/3/2007 14:33
Re: Water Changes #5
also remember to buff ur evap water as it wont have the same ph levels ( usually about ph of 5 if pure RO)