craigieboi craigieboi
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Midlothian
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 17/3/2007 2:32
sea cucumber #1
i just added a cucumber ( man it's the ugliest thing i seen)
but was informed should be a great 'sifter' for my sand........... can anyone confirm this........ will try post a pic but its away in my rock lol........

but the only way to describe it is this..........

1 of those things out the movie 'tremours'

i also got 2 orange snails ( i have some sandsift starfish but getting rid of em as they eat the goodness in my lv
SH4RKN0S3 SH4RKN0S3
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Wiltshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 17/3/2007 13:50
Re: sea cucumber #2
Sea cucumbers are holothurian echinoderms, so are related to starfish and sea urchins. They are detrivores and feed in one of two ways. Some use their tenticles to filter the water column. Others burrow through the substrate and ingest particles from it, so if it's one of these then it should sift your sand well.
They have a tough skin so should be safe with most fish. As a defense mechanism they can eject their digestive tract, leaving a predator to feast on it, while crawling away to regrow it . Some can also eject sticky threads from their back end called cuverian tubules which wrap around predators, incapacitating them.
If you drink too much, expect to wake up in the strangest places! Resized Imageimg
ziggy ziggy
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Essex
  • Group: Registered Users LFS Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 17/3/2007 21:46
Re: sea cucumber #3
Some can do an excellent job of sifting the sand in established set up's. If you've a trusted LFS who have identified them as OK then no problem but more of a worry if they are not ID'd.

By your description and the fact that it's on the rocks a lot it sounds like it could be Synapta Maculata which do grow rather large, up to 24" I believe.

http://www.pbase.com/patterns/image/58845912

craigieboi craigieboi
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Midlothian
  • Posted on: 17/3/2007 23:35
Re: sea cucumber #4
thanx for the replies.........

THAT'S the lil ( or big) critter ziggy when u say grows to 24"s dyu mean stretched out or fat n podgy as am hoping u mean stretched as at the moment its about 8" fat n podgy but stretches to around the 24" ish mark........... also is it a good worker of live sand?
ziggy ziggy
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Essex
  • Group: Registered Users LFS Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 18/3/2007 22:51
Re: sea cucumber #5
24" stretched out thank god mind you that's long........

It will sift the sand however there are smaller cukes better suited I believe. The other thing is to make sure your rockwork is stable as they can dislodge it whilst spending time moving amongst it.
craigieboi craigieboi
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Midlothian
  • Posted on: 19/3/2007 14:24
Re: sea cucumber #6
thanx ziggy.....