« 1 2 (3)
icthytitch icthytitch
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Cleveland
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 18/5/2004 20:13
Re: My New Tank #21
Hi, i see your tank is on a window ledge? if it gets sunlight for any period of time then you may find you will have a problem with algae growth, you might end up with having your curtains drawn all of the time
lseaton lseaton
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 19/5/2004 9:57
Re: My New Tank #22
Thanks Icthytitch, it's only going to be there temporarily, as I am moving bedrooms very soon as my dad is completing an extension.
My mum mentioned the same thing to me and has got me a kind of wicker blind for now, but we have yet to put it up
Will show my parents your post to get them to put it up tonight

I am quite fortunate that the room i am in now is on the corner of the house and hardly gets any sunlight-must be the way it faces. The room I am moving into is at the back of the house and gets the most sun, so i am going to have to think really carefully where to position the tank
Resized Image
lseaton lseaton
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 25/5/2004 9:37
Re: My New Tank #23
Just a little update, my blind is now up my extension cord has been moved-thanks dad It needed moving anyway as the cords for my tv,video and playstation 2 were all tangled and hanging down, now they are all higher and tidied

As for the tank, i've tested the water several times and the readings are Nitrate quite low-looks about 10 but Zero Nitrite
I also read the instructions more thoroughly for the filter and have turned the flow down for better filtration-Thanks Goldy
All three inhabitants are thoroughly enjoying themselves. Getting the new Oranda has brought out the character of my white Oranda, he seems more energetic and they both know when they are getting fed as when the light is switched on when i get up, they swarm near the top and when i sprinkle the flakes under the water they try and gobble my fingers to!!

Have bought them some new food to try to give them a variety, i got them Tetra Granules as they are smaller than the Tetra pellets, which they don't seem to like.
They like the granules but aren't keen on getting them from the surface, i think they know it could be dangerous for them! so i will try soaking them for a while before hand
Resized Image
meerkat meerkat
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Isle of Lewis
  • Posted on: 25/5/2004 20:50
Re: My New Tank #24
Lovely pics, Iseaton! You have the same combo as me: three fish and a cat...so far, so good
lseaton lseaton
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 26/5/2004 9:25
Re: My New Tank #25
Thanks Meerkat, Poppy enjoys looking at the fish with me and eating their flake food

Update, on the Tetra Granules-they all love them Just gave them a small sprinkle last night to see and they really enjoyed them, so i gave them a Tetra Pellet each for breakfast (which they have turned their noses up at everytime before and i end up getting them out with a net) but today the Orandas could fit them in their mouths and were sucking them like a sweet for ages until they were gone-they usually spit them out

I think that now that James bubblehead has come along Egg fish is more competative about his food and they have eating contests-the Shubunkin is above this childish behaviour
Resized Image