• Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Image Admin Caresheets Moderators Advisers
  • Posted on: 21/3/2005 22:10
Melafix ingredients #21
Quote:

Saille wrote:
Now I feel an idiot for never actually reading the ingredients on my Melafix bottle - I assumed it was tea-tree oil and something else exotic.

You are not the only one, me too
but here are the ingredients:
http://members.cox.net/tulsaalstons/melafix_recipie.htm
Anonymous  
Re: Tea Tree and Salt treatments ... #22
dunno about prima fix prob cooking oil or something, yea watch when buying essential oils you get the pure 100% oil, they do mix it for adding to the skin, which is all you need to do to use for yourself. di
Anonymous  
Re: Tea Tree and Salt treatments ... #23
just found this

PimaFix
Yet Another Great New Patented Breakthrough From Aquarium Pharmaceuticals

All-Natural PimaFix

Treats fungal infections
Treats both internal and external bacterial infections
PimaFix has been formulated to work in combination with MelaFix to enhance effectiveness against fish diseases
PimaFix is a natural botanical remedy made from Pimenta racemosa (West Indian Bay) oil, providing unique active compounds, which harmoniously work together to attack fish diseases. The active compounds found in Pimenta racemosa not only provide many different modes of action, but also eliminate the possibility of the development of resistant strains of disease-causing organisms. Until now, most antifungal medications resulted in unsightly water discoloration throughout the course of therapy.

PimaFix does not have this disadvantage, providing better viewing of fish during treatment. Treating with PimaFix will not harm the biological filter in freshwater or saltwater aquariums or ponds. PimaFix has no effect on pH. PimaFix is harmless to aquatic plants.

In extreme cases of especially stubborn infections, PimaFix has been designed to work synergistically with MelaFix. Using PimaFix and MelaFix together provides the added benefit of quick tissue regeneration and wound healing.

PimaFix Directions for Use

Shake well before each use.

For best results remove activated carbon during treatment.

As a disease treatment: Add 1 tsp for every 10 gallons (40L) of aquarium water.
Repeat dose daily for 7 days. Treatment may be continued, if necessary.

* Whenever treating with any medication, we suggest performing a 25-50% water change every three days depending on the organic load in water.

API Pimafix 118ml £4.99
API Pimafix 237ml £6.65
API Pimafix 473ml £10.79
API Pimafix 1.9 litre £33.99

KrabbiePattie KrabbiePattie
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 18/3/2006 18:29
Re: Tea Tree and Salt treatments ... #24
I bought some Tea Tree Oil a couple of months ago from Tesco.

It was in the reduced price items section of the medicines department near the pharmacy.

I paid £2.00 for a 10ml bottle (it was supposed to be £3.99).

It is made by Thursday Plantation and is in a bright yellow box, you won't be able to miss it.

Says on the box The Original Tea Tree* Oil, Natural Antiseptic, *Oil of Melaleuca alternifolia
Lifex Lifex
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Australia
  • Posted on: 2/4/2006 17:09
Re: Tea Tree and Salt treatments ... #25
Ok I understand i think how much to use for dosage for Tea tree oil, I was wondering what exactly are each recommended to fix, cure, or help? (thats the Salt and Tee Tree Oil)

Confused Newb.
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 3/4/2006 15:18
Re: Tea Tree and Salt treatments ... #26
The salt should say on the box depending on if you just need a tonic or supportive to treament this can vary depending on which aquarium salt you use
BumbleWeasle BumbleWeasle
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Perth
  • Posted on: 17/9/2006 13:12
Re: Tea Tree and Salt treatments ... #27
Hey folks, just don't do what my mate did... hahaha
he saw that some of his neons had whitespot & panicked.. he chucked some teatree in without diluting/watching the dosage.. anyway the result was he overdosed the tank. All the fish that had whitespot cleared up & were OK, but the ones that didn't have it ended up with it overnight!. Basically I think he put so much teatree in his tank that he killed off all the natural bacteria that usually prevent whitespot from becoming a problem, and ended up losing the fish that hadn't been affected by whitespot! D'oh.
gwondana gwondana
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 7/12/2006 11:38
Re: Tea Tree and Salt treatments ... #28
Pimafix is a 1% solution of West Indian Bay (Pimenta racemosa)
It is analgesic,antiseptic and a general stimulant in humans. I guess its the same for fish. It has eugenol as its main ingredient which is an anasthetic. In high doses it can be used to euthanase a mortally ill fish. I personally would not use this in my tank or in aromatherapy. There are much better solutions.

Moving on to Melafix
The essential oil in melafix is cajuput NOT Tea tree
Botanically cajuput is Melaleuca cajuputi, also known as Melaleuca leucadendron
Tea tree is Melaleuca alternifolia

Whats the difference? Chemically cajuput is about 40% 1,8 cineole. Tea tree is about 45% terpinen-4-ol. Cajuput is more closely related chemically to eucalyptus! Eucalyptus globulus, probably the most common eucalypt used in aromatherapy is about 65% 1,8 cineole.

Both cajuput and tea tree are antifungal, antiviral, antibacterial and more. I have used tea tree in my tank to good effect. Cajuput is chemically gentler and probably the better of the two. There have been cases of humans being poisoned by drinking tea tree, lol cant understand why you would want to drink it.
There are no claims to my knowledge that tea tree or cajuput will cure ick. Having said that I treat ick with salt and temperature as has been recommended here. Huge thanks for that info :) I add 1% solution of cajuput at 5ml per 40 litres as recommended by melafix. My opinion is that helps heal the wounds caused by ich and helps restore the fishes slime coat. It may kill ick as well I really dont know. It certainly helps the fish.
As has been stated here as well, buy your essential oils from a reputable dealer. I am in Australia I can recommend a couple if any one is interested. Be very careful of supermarket versions, they are often diluted and contaminated. Thursday Island tea tree is ok, although a little rough. Far better to purchase pure essential oils.
Hope this helps. For the record I am a qualified aromatherapist.
Blessings
Steve

Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 7/12/2006 15:45
Re: Tea Tree and Salt treatments ... #29
Thanks for that Steve and welcome to the crue
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Advisers Registered Users
  • Posted on: 7/12/2006 16:01
Re: Tea Tree and Salt treatments ... #30
hi steve, welcome to fk!
that was really interesting, i dont like using chemical products on for my fish (or myself tbh!) i have a bottle of pure tea tree oil, which is the only thing i use in my tanks. and that isnt often! Its a shame there are so many chemical meds out there, there should be more natural ones. i may investigate getting some essentail oils to use to treat fish with in future!
Gill

Resized Image

[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm] 'CLICK ME' - 'Fishless Cycling' information - how to prepare your new t...