MarineAqua5 MarineAqua5
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 18/11/2006 23:06
New to nanos #1
Hello,
This is my first post here. I am going to start a nano tank. Its my first,i know you have to have a 55 gallon tank, but i have kept freshwater fish for ages also had a short term job at LFS. The tank i am going to do is 24"x12"x12". It was a FW but im converting it. I am going to change the light bulbs the sand ect.
what am i have and i am going to need,

- Tank 24x12x12 (have)
- Heater (have)
- Hood (have)
- Fluval 3 pump (have)
- Test kits (have)
- New light bulb (need)
- Kent salt (need)
- Hydrometer (need)
- Sand (need)
- 5KG Live rock LR (need)

If anyone has any views or i have missed someting please feel free to comment. Also if you just have something to say please do.
Thanks
Sean
TheDragonLord TheDragonLord
  • Pond Adviser
  • Pond  Adviser
  • From West Midlands
  • Group: Registered Users Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 18/11/2006 23:37
Re: New to nanos #2
when u use the fluval pump just run it as mechanical and chemical filtration, dont let it turn biological

you'll need at least 12kg of live rock in that tank as well

sand, use coral sand

you'll also need at least another powerhead just circulateing water round the rock, preferably 2

what sort of lighting is it? single T8 tube?

are you wanting corals or not?
There are no experts, mearly beginners who know more than others.

Support your LFS, online sites won't stay open 5 mins extra for you
MarineAqua5 MarineAqua5
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From London
  • Posted on: 18/11/2006 23:57
Re: New to nanos #3
thanks for the reply,
NO corals just FOWLR, i will get a T8 or T5 bulb. The pump is 185 gallon an hour. Surely thats enough. Also i thought it was 1pound of LR per gallon. I will het agri sand. Yes i will just run the black(chemical/carbon) sponge.
TheDragonLord TheDragonLord
  • Pond Adviser
  • Pond  Adviser
  • From West Midlands
  • Group: Registered Users Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 19/11/2006 17:04
Re: New to nanos #4
as its a FOWLR system then the fluval may do it by it's self but there will be dead patches behind the rock, try to get some sort of thing to change the flow, either a spray bar and lay it down so the water comes from behind the rocks or a spinny thing (cant remember the name) so the flow will constantly alternate

go with a T8 bulb, they're cheaper and i presume you already got the T8 starter

no it should be at least 1kg of live rock per gallon but the more the better

run poly pads in the fluval as well so you can remove any crap

you will also NEED a skimmer IMO
There are no experts, mearly beginners who know more than others.

Support your LFS, online sites won't stay open 5 mins extra for you
voycey voycey
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Midlands
  • Posted on: 19/11/2006 20:49
Re: New to nanos #5
Quote:
as its a FOWLR system then the fluval may do it by it's self but there will be dead patches behind the rock, try to get some sort of thing to change the flow, either a spray bar and lay it down so the water comes from behind the rocks or a spinny thing (cant remember the name) so the flow will constantly alternate

Technical ;)

Dont be tempted to get an eden rotating powerhead - they are rubbish - i just bought a powerful powerhead, a piece of UGF uplift tube and sawed slits in a spiral around it - this allows a lot of water to circulate in different directions.

Although for your size tank one might do the trick if you posistion it right!
MarineAqua5 MarineAqua5
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From London
  • Posted on: 19/11/2006 23:33
Re: New to nanos #6
Well i will not need a skimmer. You shouldent use a skimmer in a tank under 30 gallons because its not going to be heavly stocked so there is no point. Also on the LR because its Fuji which is porious you only need 1 pound per gallon. Also there is such a thing as too much LR bacause if your fish dont have room to swim its too much.

Not to be rude but the information you give is very missleading. If someone was reading this it could make their tank go bad and also cost them extra money.
Dont get it twisted!!!!
Sean
voycey voycey
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Midlands
  • Posted on: 20/11/2006 9:13
Re: New to nanos #7
My tank is too small to get the required amount in there - So I have small fragments of live rock in a chamber in my sump, if you have a nano marine and cant fit the required amount of LR in there to support filtration then you should consider another form. However seen as most nano's wont be heavily stocked it probably wont be an issue.

As for a protein skimmer, I dont see the harm - my setup is pretty much 30G exactly and although my protein skimmer doesnt bring up much i dont see it being detrimental to my tank setup.
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Advisers Registered Users
  • Posted on: 20/11/2006 10:49
Re: New to nanos #8
Quote:

MarineAqua5 wrote:
Well i will not need a skimmer. You shouldent use a skimmer in a tank under 30 gallons because its not going to be heavly stocked so there is no point. Also on the LR because its Fuji which is porious you only need 1 pound per gallon. Also there is such a thing as too much LR bacause if your fish dont have room to swim its too much.

Not to be rude but the information you give is very missleading. If someone was reading this it could make their tank go bad and also cost them extra money.

the info given here is not misleading- all down to opinion, there is more than one way to acheive similar results in the fish keeping world.
you cant say you shouldnt use a skimmer, if you do not choose to use one, that is down you to your opinion.
you are right a skimmer is not a necessary piece of equiptment at all, it has been proved that reef tanks can function using just a natural method of live rock and live sand.

i have nearly 20 kg of LR in my nano, tank 24x12x12, similar to yours? which is not 'too much'.
your information is the most misleading, a tank cannot go bad from having too much live rock.
also i do believe you are asking us for advice, why if you already know better?
Gill

Resized Image

[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm] 'CLICK ME' - 'Fishless Cycling' information - how to prepare your new t...
MarineAqua5 MarineAqua5
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From London
  • Posted on: 20/11/2006 16:27
Re: New to nanos #9
A tank can go bad, when you have soooo much LR your fish cant swim thats too much. 20KG in my tank would leave no room.
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Advisers Registered Users
  • Posted on: 20/11/2006 16:48
Re: New to nanos #10
surprisinlgy it doesnt actually take up much room, theres still a lot of swimming space, as i only have two fish, need the rock space for all my corals anyway!!
Gill

Resized Image

[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm] 'CLICK ME' - 'Fishless Cycling' information - how to prepare your new t...