How easy was that to dig, looking good though
finny finny
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Wiltshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 12/10/2006 18:59
Re: My new pond takes shape. #3
How easy to dig? Very. I got a man with a JCB!!

Seriouly though, I moved the firt ten barrow loads by hand and it was effing hard work. Since I had some chaps putting a conservatory up for me they had the JCB on site. Ten quid in the right hands and Bob's yer uncle!

Does look good though doesnt it.

Going to use sand / underlay / Butyl as a liner then add a large pressure filter. Simple but, hopefully, elegant when done.

David
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Image Admin Caresheets Moderators Advisers
  • Posted on: 13/10/2006 8:55
Re: My new pond takes shape. #4
Have fun and let us know how it comes along
maggot2002 maggot2002
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Lothian
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 13/10/2006 9:02
Re: My new pond takes shape. #5
Really looking forward to finished result
Resized Image
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Advisers Registered Users
  • Posted on: 13/10/2006 11:10
Re: My new pond takes shape. #6
looking good mate, like the shape! yew cant wait to see it finished!
Gill

Resized Image

[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm] 'CLICK ME' - 'Fishless Cycling' information - how to prepare your new t...
finny finny
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Wiltshire
  • Posted on: 13/10/2006 13:55
Re: My new pond takes shape. #7
Thanks peeps.

I spent the morning concreting in place stones around the berm (the earth work on the RHS of the image) to support it. I also de-flinted all the sides...sharp! Fingers cut to shreds. Ouch!

Next is to and the horizontal surfaces then line the walls. I am thinking of using old blankets for this before laying the butyl - is that a sensible thing to do or should I buy proprietory underlay for some good reason I don;'t yet know??

I may even lay carpet on the very bottom of the deep bit.

That'll keep me busy monday and tuesday I reckon!!!

Any tips on filtering would be appreciated - I'm going for a big pressure filter discharging into a fountain or water fall or something of that ilk for aeration.

David
seanmckinney seanmckinney
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From County Antrim
  • Posted on: 13/10/2006 22:47
Re: My new pond takes shape. #8
Berm!!!!!!!!!!!!!! please!!!!!!!!!!!!!! levee....... or how ever it is spelt, this is an UK board not an American, btw I am taking the mickey.

Re carpet etc I would suggest synthetic and it is probably more rot resistant but I have a word of warning over combination of depth and the contouring, I suspect that with the combination you are going to end up with some significant folds in the liner. Take you time filling the pond and work the folds as it fills, personally I would consider having some temporary water storage facility handy so that if you decide to shift the liner about you dont have to dump the water. The circular paddling pools with inflatable collars sold by the likes of B&Q make good and fairly cheap holding tanks. I took me a week to fiddle with my liner but my shape was worse than yours.

Re underlay, I used sheet polystyrene in my fishpond but that is inside a concrete shell. I used sand on the wildlife pond and the plant pond, it can be used, damp, to line sloping walls but vertical walls would be a bit much.
Polystyrene is a BAD idea for floors on which you will want to walk, it crushes under the concentrated load generated by feet and takes a set, sand feels hard when there is a good depth of water above it but it still has some give.
If you use sand on floors walk it in bare feet, you'll soon find the sharp points you missed, likewise if you try damp sand on walls use bare hands to pat it into place.
If you use carpet make sure it's tack free!
finny finny
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Wiltshire
  • Posted on: 15/10/2006 22:13
Re: My new pond takes shape. #9
Thanks for the pointers!

re "berm", sorry. It jut sounded suh a good word and came out naturally. Seems more meaningful than "earth wall" or something.

Re the folds in liner...thank again, I had been thinking about them. Gues it's just a cae of folding and re-folding.

GFoing to finish the wall cementing tomorrow!

David
finny finny
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Wiltshire
  • Posted on: 16/10/2006 14:11
Re: My new pond takes shape. #10
Here's todays work then.

I have cemented the stones into place outside the retaining wall but was unhappy about the integrity of the internal wall, especially when faced with either of my four children standing on it for " a better look at the fish ". So, I dug some of the soil away and lined it with bricks cemented in place. Now to cover with soil again and then smoothg it down.

That's all so far! Back breaking work though!

davidResized Image

Resized Image