• Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Staffordshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 8/10/2006 12:32
new babies, maternity care, feeding helppppppppppppppppp! #1
BABIES
Hi Guys

not done much with pond this year other than clean filter sponge out, decided to cut oxygenators back this afternoon as they were literally taking over the pond and could not belive me could not belive my eyes.

I have little black fish in the pond (which means someones being having sex behind my back) lol

now they are all black, are goldfish babies born black? have 10 adult goldfish ranging from yellow to deep orange, had them nearly 2 1/2 years now as that is how old pond is.

never thought id have babies, im so exicted (memo to self need to get out more)

all the best and thanks for the continuing help on here

regards

Owner of 10 goldfish, Custard, Speedy, Spot, Natalie, Colonel, Goldy, Bulldog, Blackie and Pete and Sick Note and now five new babies that have bred in the pond,(oh and 1 plastic duck, 1 rubber duck, used to be 2 rubber ducks but the lawn mower at...
chopper chopper
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Staffordshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 8/10/2006 12:37
RE: new babies, maternity care, feeding helppppppppppppppppp! #2
right now i am in right forum, went up to feed fish this morning and i use pellets, ground a few up for the new babies and the big fish came up to eat then as the little babies came up to investigate the big ones backed off and let them feed, which was funny as they are so tiny they had to suck the pellets rather than eat them whole. i know we are coming to the non feeding months but do i need to be doing anything to help them along or am i better doing as dragon said leave them to the survival of the fittest. At present only seen about 5 new black babies, about an inch and a quarter long. so when would these have been born to be this big?

having the 10 adults was stressful enough now ive got children its worse and who said having a pond was relaxing!!!!!!! if u find him send him over as i want words with him (hehehe)

Owner of 10 goldfish, Custard, Speedy, Spot, Natalie, Colonel, Goldy, Bulldog, Blackie and Pete and Sick Note and now five new babies that have bred in the pond,(oh and 1 plastic duck, 1 rubber duck, used to be 2 rubber ducks but the lawn mower at...
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Image Admin Caresheets Moderators Advisers
  • Posted on: 8/10/2006 12:45
Re: new babies, maternity care, feeding helppppppppppppppppp! #3
What you like anyway I was only reading somewhere the other day " wish I had kept the link now" that if you leave the baby fish to nature then you end up with the best and fittest also they will get insects to feed on if needed so wouldn't worry about feeding them, also as the weather gets colder fishes metabolism slows down so they don't need feeding, not sure how you can tell how old they are by the size as this depends on space I think, some are bigger than others maybe Dragonlord or another of our pondies can clear that up for you
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Image Admin Caresheets Moderators Advisers
  • Posted on: 8/10/2006 13:21