« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 »
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Advisers Registered Users
  • Posted on: 27/9/2006 9:20
Re: 3 Fantails dead within the hour...please help...New to the site #51
you need to add some food each day. and test the water for amonia, nitrIte and nitrAte. when the levels of ammonia & nitrIte are 0, and u have only low levels of nitrAte (5-10ppm)remaining you may add more fish. this may take a week or two.
also do not get any bottom dwelling fish, like catfish, as the sharp stuff in the bottom will cause them damage.
Gill

Resized Image

[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm] 'CLICK ME' - 'Fishless Cycling' information - how to prepare your new t...
WickedFishie WickedFishie
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 27/9/2006 9:21
Re: 3 Fantails dead within the hour...please help...New to the site #52
Start adding a pinch each day, it will decompose and the waste will start the cycle, which will grow bacteria to keep your tank safe. Once your tank is cycled, (Takes a few weeks, sadly.) You can safely add a few fish at a time.

One Fish, Two Fish..
Red Fish, Blue Fish!
  • From London
  • Group: Moderators Registered Users Advisers FK Supporter Caresheets Image Admin
  • Posted on: 27/9/2006 12:59
Re: 3 Fantails dead within the hour...please help...New to the site #53
back to query re biorb filter maintenance - black granules are carbon and white are zeolite i think - you can chuck them all out - only need carbon in there if want to remove medication from water, in which case buy a new cassette (but keep old sponge). you can do the changes without disturbing fish - i think you will find that when you have appropriately few fish in there it will not seem so dirty, i suppose you might take everything out and rinse it in tank water (making sure you keep the fish in half of the tank water which you put back - don't want to change more than that at once) once a year.
re java fern on bogwood, you can buy this ready made, for example here
m18rta m18rta
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Aberdeenshire
  • Posted on: 27/9/2006 18:00
Re: 3 Fantails dead within the hour...please help...New to the site #54
Started tonight added alittle food. Give it a week or two and see if I can buy new boys
cathie cathie
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Moderators Registered Users Advisers FK Supporter Caresheets Image Admin
  • Posted on: 27/9/2006 18:13
Re: 3 Fantails dead within the hour...please help...New to the site #55
have you decided what to get then?
m18rta m18rta
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Aberdeenshire
  • Posted on: 27/9/2006 18:21
Re: 3 Fantails dead within the hour...please help...New to the site #56
NO NO NO...Im stuck what to do. I want to have a fish or fishies that have character....I miss my boys though
steveuk steveuk
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From West Midlands
  • Posted on: 27/9/2006 23:44
Re: 3 Fantails dead within the hour...please help...New to the site #57
I have 4 mountain minows and 4 danios in my tank, along with a fantail goldie. I'm going through the process of moving them to a bigger tank, after a lot of advice from the nice folks on here

I just wanted to say, my minows and my danios are real characters. They spend a lot of time zipping about chasing each other. Really fun to watch

I hope you're BiOrb goes well!
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Advisers Registered Users
  • Posted on: 28/9/2006 10:15
Re: 3 Fantails dead within the hour...please help...New to the site #58
a siamese fighter, they are gorgeous! i have 3 fighter tanks.
poor you, if bi-orb wernt so flippin adamant that goldfish are suitable for their poxy tanks you wouldnt have this problem, you would have had them in a proper tank, and still have them more than likely, for a good many years to come. bi-orb should at least provide accurate info. they dont state how big goldies should grow or how long they should live, (about 6-8 inches average, bigger has been reported, and about 10 years is average for a fancy golfish, longer has been reported, and singletail golfish can grow much bigger and live much longer.) grrrr....
anyway, theres loads of small fishes, ones that you can have in your tank, dont get too disheartened! you got a week or so til your tank is ready for fish, just keep feeding daily and test it every few days. be ready soon!
Gill

Resized Image

[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm] 'CLICK ME' - 'Fishless Cycling' information - how to prepare your new t...
m18rta m18rta
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Aberdeenshire
  • Posted on: 28/9/2006 13:07
Re: 3 Fantails dead within the hour...please help...New to the site #59
I can't wait. I see the tank empy each morning when I go to feed. I posted a picture of the boys last night onto the website...sad eh?
m18rta m18rta
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Aberdeenshire
  • Posted on: 28/9/2006 13:42
Re: 3 Fantails dead within the hour...please help...New to the site #60
Folks quick question. Should I buy some real plants for the biorb while it's empty?