(1) 2 3 »
Tarek Tarek
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Hampshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 9/9/2006 11:32
Help needed with protein skimmer please #1
I am setting up my first marine tank and I am having alot of trouble trying to get my aqua medic turboflotor 750 protein skimmer setup. Specifically the bubbles flow right out the bottom into the tank and How do I get the amount of air correct. If you have this skimmer and it works well, I would be extremely grateful if you could tell me how you did it.
Thanks
flameangel flameangel
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Wiltshire
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 9/9/2006 20:30
Re: Help needed with protein skimmer please #2
Skimmers can be fiddly at tmes. I do not have that skimmer so it may work differently to mine. Ours has a small valve and we have to literally adjust it a millimetre at a time back and fore to try to get the flow just right. It is a real pain. Has yours got some kind of valve? It must have? Very tiny moves may get it right.
Tarek Tarek
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Hampshire
  • Posted on: 10/9/2006 16:26
Re: Help needed with protein skimmer please #3
It's got a valve, but the main problem is that the bubbles all make their way out the open bottom into the tank. It came with a large blue sponge which I put into the pre filter but I am wondering if this goes in the bottom instead. as with the amount of bubbles, do you just ensure that there is an amount of froth slightly below the lip of the collection cup and refine it from there?

Thanks,
Tarek
flameangel flameangel
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Wiltshire
  • Posted on: 10/9/2006 21:33
Re: Help needed with protein skimmer please #4
can you confirm if it is an inernal or external hang on skimmer. I will look it up on the net a minute and get a better idea..
Tarek Tarek
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Hampshire
  • Posted on: 10/9/2006 21:45
Re: Help needed with protein skimmer please #5
It's an internal and putting the sponge at the open bottom doesn't stop the bubbles entering the tank.
flameangel flameangel
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Wiltshire
  • Posted on: 10/9/2006 21:46
Re: Help needed with protein skimmer please #6
Ok, I found it. It is an internal skimmer. Leave air as it is but you may need to restrict the water flow from the pump to the filter chamber. It may be too much for it, so that's why it is coming out of the bottom in to the tank. You can get inline valves to allow you to restrict the water pressure in. That may sort it, and stop bubbles coming out in to tank.
flameangel flameangel
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Wiltshire
  • Posted on: 10/9/2006 21:49
Re: Help needed with protein skimmer please #7
My hubby says make sure it is deep enough in the tank. Sometimes it pays to have the skimmer slightly deeper in the tank than it actually says to have it.
You could also get a tube and attach it to the bottom extending it to be longer so the air stays in it? confused?
Tarek Tarek
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Hampshire
  • Posted on: 10/9/2006 21:50
Re: Help needed with protein skimmer please #8
The powerhead has a restrictor so I'll try that. How do you measure how much air to put in? Thanks for your help.
flameangel flameangel
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Wiltshire
  • Posted on: 10/9/2006 21:56
Re: Help needed with protein skimmer please #9
open the air right up until you have an even balance of bubbles frothing at the top,looking like you have just poured a fizzy glass of coke too quickly! adjust air slightly until it stays like that.

if these tips don't help, one suggestion is - cut the top off a lemonade bottle and put that over the bottom of the skimmer inside.the air bubbles get trapped in the skimmer then and only the water goes out through the bottle neck? jeronimo!
flameangel flameangel
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Wiltshire
  • Posted on: 10/9/2006 22:59
Re: Help needed with protein skimmer please #10
Have you sussed it yet?