• Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Advisers Registered Users
  • Posted on: 6/9/2006 9:35
Re: water changes #11
Quote:

burkey wrote:
actually water changes in a reef aqurium inbalances the stability therefore its best that the tank cycles the nitrates from ammonia to gas naturally.

thats the reason i say the berlin method is the only way to go for a reef aquarium properly.

the berlin method can remove nitrates!

????????

doesnt matter what method you use for filtration! small and often water changes are always best especially in a reef tank, its not always about removing bad stuff , in a reef tank, its also about replenishing minerals etc that are essential to the health of corals and inverts. the salinty & pH of the water need to be kept more stable for corals etc and if you do regular small water changes, this prevents anyhting being used to the point where a large water change would change the water chemistry too much!.
Gill

Original Image

[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm] 'CLICK ME' - 'Fishless Cycling' information - how to prepare your new t...
voycey voycey
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Midlands
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 6/9/2006 10:46
Re: water changes #12
its true - there are so many trace minerals that are needed for corals etc, its not just about removing nitrates etc.

think of the things that could be leeched into the water by the various corals etc - these would need to be removed.

the only reason it would cause an imbalance is if you were to introduce stuff like silicates or nitrates or chlorine etc - RO water would sort most of this out.
jayvee jayvee
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Wiltshire
  • Posted on: 6/9/2006 18:07
Re: water changes #13
Cool, the barrels of RO are filling up and being aereated as we speak.
burkey burkey
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Hertfordshire
  • Posted on: 9/9/2006 10:18
Re: water changes #14
well when water evaporates it leaves most of the minerals behind (which as you said get absorbed by corals)

so when your topping up your tank nows the best time to add them.

calcium reactors are god too, but removing large quantities of water and replacing it can cause wipeouts in a reef tank its much better to just add your minerals in top ups.
flameangel flameangel
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Wiltshire
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 9/9/2006 19:27
Re: water changes #15
small water changes add fresh minerals anyway
makosam makosam
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Hampshire
  • Posted on: 9/9/2006 20:04
Re: water changes #16
water changes are essential! They will remove unwanted chemicals and serve as a top-up to your mineral levels. They become more essential the smaller the system - and the smaller the system the more care has to be taken with these changes. They replace the trace elements in the system. These CAN be artifically added, but nothing is so reliable as water changes for topping them up. The berlin method (i use this myself) is primarily concerned with the replication of the natural in the unatural (i.e. the tank) - essentially based around the bacterial colonies within live rock being 'forced' to utalise organic compounds as these colonies are in anaerobic areas. Even the ocean has water changes. There called currents.
flameangel flameangel
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Wiltshire
  • Posted on: 9/9/2006 20:30
Re: water changes #17
The general opinion from the experience of most members are "water chages are a must" to help maintain the chmical balnce/minerals etc in the water required for all marine life. Hope this helps.
number79 number79
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From South Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 14/9/2006 16:10
Re: water changes #18
Water changes are VERY BAD! It means lugging huge tubs of water from my LFS to my car, then from my car to my tank, then lifting and pouring into my tank. Untill sweat drips from my forehead and makes the rest of the day somewhat of a recovery session. But apart from that I think they're quite good! Anyway carry on with the serious stuff now!
flameangel flameangel
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Wiltshire
  • Posted on: 14/9/2006 20:54
Re: water changes #19
you could just by an RO kit an make your own - much less sweat involved
number79 number79
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From South Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 15/9/2006 10:30
Re: water changes #20
We've thought about an RO unit but with the tank being at work we cant really start setting up equipment in WCs. Not sure what visiting clients would think )