(1) 2 3 »
dazza dazza
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 7/9/2006 20:49
hi to all #1
just finished cycling my tank going to give it one more week so there is no nasty surprices. what fish do you recommend starting with.
dazza
fredrick_more fredrick_more
  • Pond Moderator
  • Pond Moderator
  • From Nottinghamshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 7/9/2006 21:07
Re: hi to all #2
Hi and welcome to FK. I would help you but i know nothing about marines, at all, other than the salt issue . So hopefully someone who does will be along soon to give you a hand. Could you just describe the set up (filter, lights etc.) and the tank size, just so it helps them
dazza dazza
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 8/9/2006 17:18
Re: hi to all #3
oh yeah. its about 130gals 50gal sump deltec skimmer t8s at the moment 20kg live rock yeah i know i need more. some bio filtration in the sump which will be removed slowly as i increase the live rock.
dazza
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Advisers Registered Users
  • Posted on: 8/9/2006 17:27
Re: hi to all #4
sounds cool dude, i would build your rock up a lot more before you start adding fish tho, you won't really want to have it cycling again if you add rock while you got fish in there.
one more thing you need to decide before we can give you any real ideas, are you planning on a reef tank (ie including corals and inverts), coz you will need to make sure you have only reef safe fish that are safe with invertebrates, or no reef and the fish that would eat your corals etc if they could? as they tend to be larger/more agressive etc.
Gill

Resized Image

[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm] 'CLICK ME' - 'Fishless Cycling' information - how to prepare your new t...
dazza dazza
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 8/9/2006 17:33
Re: hi to all #5
i was planing on adding cured rock to avoid cycling .besides i havent got a grand to spend on rock at mo. it will be a reef some way down the line so the fish i get now would need to be reef compatible. thanks for your help
dazza
Coralline Coralline
  • Marine Adviser
  • Marine  Adviser
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Advisers Registered Users
  • Posted on: 8/9/2006 17:46
Re: hi to all #6
even with fully cured live rock you can still get some die off, and cycling occurring, but if your going to be adding it in small amounts you might be ok,but i wouldnt add too much rock at once when you have fish in there.
to start with, i would just get something like a gobie of some sort (there are lots - and not always available everywhere so hard to specify) as the rock you have will not support much fish really, so i would wait a bit until you have got at least a bit more. just stock very slowly.
a pair of clowns might be nice if you like them, -at the end of the day, the best thing for you to do, is go to a few shops and see what they have in stock that is reef compatible, and plan a few choices from there, very hard to sugest what fish you should have, all down to personal choice at the end of the day. also the 'pocket expert guide to marine fish (there is also a invertebrates one) are ace books as they tell you detailed requirements of the most popular fish.
Gill

Resized Image

[url=http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm] 'CLICK ME' - 'Fishless Cycling' information - how to prepare your new t...
dazza dazza
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 8/9/2006 17:59
Re: hi to all #7
ok thanks for that .i know my live rock wont support much but at the minute i am i am using bio filtration in the sump so that should help ,i know it wont help with nitrates but i will have to bite the bullet for now and do regular water changes. as for stocking levels i would be happy with just a couple of fish, i am a great beleaver in not stocking to full capacity any way. thanks for your help gillian
dazza
voycey voycey
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Midlands
  • Posted on: 8/9/2006 20:55
Re: hi to all #8
I cant fit enough live rock in my tank to support the bio filtration of the tank alone - rather than using bio balls or something similar you should buy some really small pieces of live rock (as many as you can) and use those instead of bioballs - fill a chamber with small pieces of live rock instead of bioballs!

That way you get all of the benefits of live rock (and all the creatures / copepods etc!) - go into your lfs and ask to take some from the tanks (if they let you) as they will be cycled - you should get them bagged up in water aswell if they will let you - this will prevent/lessen die off :)
flameangel flameangel
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Wiltshire
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 8/9/2006 21:14
Re: hi to all #9
yep clowns are a dead cert. Cleaner wrasse, sixline wrasse, little damsels, strawberry fish, they are all reef safe. Have you had a look at the caresheet section. I put in the info for the marine fish listed on there, and I have stated which ones would nip at corals etc.
Don't get the Birdmouth Wrasses - they eat inverts. Definitely don't get the beautiful crimson nobbed starfish as that will eat all the bush corals/polyps.
burkey burkey
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Hertfordshire
  • Posted on: 9/9/2006 11:10
Re: hi to all #10
avoid damsels you wont be able to remove them even the small ones get big and there aggressive as hell.

reefsafe fish are really just clowns, tangs, butterflie, blennies and gobies in general a few wrasses are a hasle to inverts.