« 1 (2)
makosam makosam
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Hampshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 18/7/2006 18:24
Re: salt for brackish tank? #11
i know people who have kept them successfully in freshwater without the brackish influx. As long as your water quality is superb you should be ok - putting them into brackish is not a bad idea however, i'd just be conserned about giving them enough aclimation time. That said, you may find they don't need much acilmation. Might be a case of experimenting and monitoring the fishes stress reations.
TheDragonLord TheDragonLord
  • Pond Adviser
  • Pond  Adviser
  • From West Midlands
  • Group: Registered Users Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 18/7/2006 20:00
Re: salt for brackish tank? #12
well as the tank will be on a large system of cichlids i'd be able to turn them off so it's just salting their tank, do you think that, if i dosed half on the morning and then added the rest about 2 hours later then leave them for about 5-6 hours before siphoning the tank to remove the poop and half the water before turning them back on the system so the salt goes faster and is diluted even more in the system, would that be enough for them to get themselves sorted?
There are no experts, mearly beginners who know more than others.

Support your LFS, online sites won't stay open 5 mins extra for you
makosam makosam
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Hampshire
  • Posted on: 19/7/2006 23:53
Re: salt for brackish tank? #13
Sounds like a reasonable plan. Brackish tolerent fish are used to certain fluctuations in salinity so you should be able to get away with a short aclimation. Watch the fish as carefully as you can, especially the first couple of times you do this to monitor for any signs of undue stress. Perhaps you could try this with some of them and not with others to see if there is any difference?
icthytitch icthytitch
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Cleveland
  • Posted on: 20/7/2006 11:38
Re: salt for brackish tank? #14
only problem i have now is getting some, have tried 4 shops in my area(Redcar,Teesside) and none of them stock brackish or wont stock puffers.
mmmmm starting to think about buying on the net and having them shipped, anyone recommend a good reliable net shop.
burkey burkey
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Hertfordshire
  • Posted on: 1/8/2006 0:45
Re: salt for brackish tank? #15
tonic salt is fro algea control in ponds i believe