stuey stuey
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Lancashire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 6/3/2004 22:05
brown algae #1
Hi
I set up a cold water tank over christmas and at the moment only have four fish in it.The tank is 36" x 18" x 18".Everything has been ok up untill the last three weeks or so when all of a sudden the rocks and glass are developing a brown stain which i am assuming to be algae. The only thing i can link it to is the filter stopped working for approx one day causing the water to become quite cloudy but i have soted out the problem. the only other thing i can think of is i am using aquarium sand which i have never used before having always used gravel in my tropical tank.I cleaned the rocks off last week but it has reappeared quite rapidly.
i would greatly appreciated any help/advice on this problem

stuart
marcshedden marcshedden
  • From Avon
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 7/3/2004 18:52
Re: brown algae #2
Hi,

Algae blooms are usually linked to Nitrate and Phosphate levels in the water, so test for these to start with - if they are high, a few substantial (around 30%) water changes are needed along with cutting down on feeding for a while.
Once you have these down to an acceptable level, regular water changes are required to keep them low. Also, growing live plants in the tank will outcompete the algae for nutrients.
Having said that, you will be lucky to completely eradicate the algae - it is the bane of most aquarists' lives!

Good Luck,
Marc
stuey stuey
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Lancashire
  • Posted on: 18/3/2004 17:42
Re: brown algae #3
Hi Marc
First of all sorry for the delay in replying but i seem to be very busy at the moment.I have had my water checked but they didn't check it for nitrate but said it could be a cause.I told them i feed the fish two or three times a day(as stated on the food and in a fishkeeping book)but i was told i should only feed them once a day.Would this be correct in your opinion.They also told me to try water changes as you suggestd,which i am on with now.

thanks for your reply and time
Stuart
OzzMosiz OzzMosiz
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 3/4/2004 11:23
Re: brown algae #4
stuey - you should defintely test for nitrates - if they get too high they can kill your fish. Water changes should be doe everyweek, at least 25%, but not normally more than 50% (unless there is a real problem).

Silicates in water can also cause diatoms (brown algae).
Fishadmin Fishadmin
  • Webmaster
  • Webmaster
  • From Spain
  • Group: Webmasters Registered Users LFS Caresheets Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 4/4/2004 10:12
Re: brown algae #5
Test the water going into the tank as well, can be surprisingly high in nitrates.
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Image Admin Caresheets Moderators Advisers
  • Posted on: 6/5/2006 15:33