« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 13 »
SirLongfin SirLongfin
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 10/2/2006 4:31
Re: Swimbladder Answers #21
Dear Danilykins,
I don't know if this is in time to help you but I hope it is . I have had trouble with upside down swimming fish over the years particularly with the compressed body fancy goldfish. In all but a few cases it has been my observation that it is feeding related. Those few cases that have not been feeding related have been serious bacterial infections that also show other symptoms along with the upside down swimming. In these cases there are usually red streaks on the fins or sores around the anus or clouding eyes. I was able with limited success to treat these cases with over the counter antibiotics. I felt that the upside down swimming was a collateral result of the infection rather than the primary disorder.
In the other cases ,where the only outward symptom is upside down swimming there is basically one reason for the disorder. I have found that the fish in trouble has swallowed too much air and it's bloated stomach is acting like another (unneeded ) swim bladder. I was usually able to cure this quickly by giving the fish the well know dietary supplement of peas. My fish beg at the top of the tank , when they know that it is feeding time and gulp lots of air. Invariably one of them would be swimming upside down shortly thereafter. I made it a point to feed them a few peas at every feeding as soon as they start begging and since the peas seem to keep them occupied at the bottom of the tank they don't gulp air and I haven't had float problems at all since starting this regimen. I also avoid feeding them any floating food preferring to use sinking pellets . I have found also that the more compressed the fish's body is , the more likely it is that the fish will experience bladder problems. While the breeders are capable of producing the beautiful compressed bodies we love , the internal organs stay much the same size. This leads to problems with the natural venting of the swim bladder at times. I also have a rule that I believe is well known but I will repeat here and that is to never turn out the light after feeding the fish for at least 1 hour.This gives the fish time to digest their meal . If you turn out the light directly after feeding them, they can become lethargic and bloat up, especially if you feed them dry food that tends to swell up in water anyway. For what it is worth , I hope that this info is of use to you. I must give credit to my late good friend, Dr.Robert Birdmin doctor of icthyology for much of the info I have posted here.
Thanks and Good Luck
SirLongfin
danilykins danilykins
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • Posted on: 10/2/2006 6:45
Re: Swimbladder Answers #22
Thanks for the reply :) Yes they do gulp a lot of air before feeding time. I call it chomping at the water, I haven't had any problems since that one time. I always presoak there food, and I give them peas and corn all the time. I do realize the pearlscale is very compact, she is the one I have most issues with constipation. I only feed them fish food once a day and then give them treats (peas and corn) about 3 times a week.
Resized Image
My two babes. Pearlscale-Pong and Oranda-Fishy (2 year old named it)
SirLongfin SirLongfin
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 13/2/2006 1:21
Re: Swimbladder Answers #23
Dear Danilykins,
You are most welcome. I know what pleasure our tank bound friends give and what angst we experience when they are having problems !! Thank you for reminding me of corn . It is almost as good as the peas . I also find that partially cooking many other veggies like lima beans or navy beans in a bit of water in the microwave produces a useable treat for my goldfish. They also like a slice of raw cuccumber once in a while. Blanching cabbage or spinach will perk them up as well.
I will try to post some photos of my two goldfish but alas I am a horrible photographer. My blue Oranda (Stephen )is begging as I write this and his chum Winston is holding his own along side of him. Winston is my lionhead. Your two fish are lovely . I give you joy of them and wish you the best of luck.
Best Regards, Sincerely,
Sir Longfin
Josephn Josephn
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From West Lothian
  • Posted on: 14/2/2006 19:48
Re: Swimbladder Answers #24
Hi There,
I have had my shubunkin for about 12 years, he has never shown any prolonged signs of swimbladder problems, but recently once or twice he has swum upside down for a time but always managed to right himself. Yesterday however after a complete water change in the tank, he has been unable to swim on a level path at all, he has constantly swum upside down or remained in an unusual position. Can you give me any advice?
Fishy-Fishy Fishy-Fishy
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Moderators Advisers FK Supporter Deep End
  • Posted on: 14/2/2006 19:52
Re: Swimbladder Answers #25
Hi Josephn, welcome to the site!

Does your shub have a varied diet? He might just have a bit of constipation so you could try feeding him some mashed up peas (take the skin off first), that should get him pooping. If that doesn't work I would suspect it is something bacterial so you could try Interpet no 12 swimbladder treatment. I doubt it is a genetic defect since he has been fine for so long. Let us know how he gets on
Josephn Josephn
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From West Lothian
  • Posted on: 14/2/2006 20:03
Re: Swimbladder Answers #26
Thanks Fishy Fishy,
I'll give the new and varied diet a go and post the results.
cheers for now
alyndavies alyndavies
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Mid Glamorgan
  • Posted on: 31/7/2006 18:03
Re: Swimbladder Answers #27
Good luck with your fish, hes a grand old age, i hope he keep going!
mog-e mog-e
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 5/3/2007 16:59
Re: Swimbladder Answers #28
Hi,

I am new to having fish, but it sounds like my fish has this 'swim bladder'. When you say to try frozen peas, do you literally mean a couple of peas out of a bag of say frozen garden peas and just drop them straight in the tank??
cathie cathie
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Moderators Registered Users Advisers FK Supporter Caresheets Image Admin
  • Posted on: 5/3/2007 17:31
Re: Swimbladder Answers #29
not quite - pour boiling water on them to defrost, then slip skin off them as fish can't deal with that, then either allow to fall in half, or chop up a bit more, (depending on how big your fish are) before dropping into tank!
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Image Admin Caresheets Moderators Advisers
  • Posted on: 6/3/2007 16:00
Re: Swimbladder Answers #30
I just take some garden peas out of the freezer and leave them to defrost them in a cup, then shell, chop small and feed the fish no need to cook, although you can part boil them to defrost them if you are in a hurry