voycey voycey
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Midlands
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 29/1/2006 0:44
saw today how small puffers are!! #1
i was really surprised - i thought they would be much bigger -admittedly they were juveniles however they were so small (im saying about a centimetre!)

Really wanna get a couple for my brackish tank when its setup- but the size of them has really made me re-think how many and how!

I wanna get a couple of figure of 8 puffers and a few other brackish fish!
TheDragonLord TheDragonLord
  • Pond Adviser
  • Pond  Adviser
  • From West Midlands
  • Group: Registered Users Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 29/1/2006 17:51
Re: saw today how small puffers are!! #2
i dont think its good to mix puffers with other fish unless ur very careful about the other types, even mixing with there own kind can be very bad due to the constant fights
There are no experts, mearly beginners who know more than others.

Support your LFS, online sites won't stay open 5 mins extra for you
makosam makosam
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Hampshire
  • Posted on: 29/1/2006 21:12
Re: saw today how small puffers are!! #3
figure of 8 puffers get to about 3" (excluding the caudal fin), they are one of the smaller species. Green spot puffers are a very good choice for brackish tanks, they are slightly larger species.

Puffers can be kept together if they have enough space. I actually keep a couple of young green spots together, though their aggression sometime comes out when older. However, if raised together the aggression towards eachother has been recorded as being lessened. Figure of 8's are easier to keep with other species, but are still difficult, they will still fin nip, and will happily pick on species much larger than themselves. Green spots are even more notorious.

Sam
voycey voycey
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Midlands
  • Posted on: 29/1/2006 23:27
Re: saw today how small puffers are!! #4
im half tempted to give it ago i may even setup a divider for the puffers - they seem interesting fish :)
makosam makosam
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Hampshire
  • Posted on: 30/1/2006 0:12
Re: saw today how small puffers are!! #5
i think if you are careful with the stock you have a good chance. That is a reasonably large tank, you may not need the dividers Puffers are very inidviual, so you may get very clam ones. Like i said, i have a few in a tank together and they get along fine, especially as i've has them together since they were very young (as most shop stock will be).

Sam
voycey voycey
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Midlands
  • Posted on: 1/2/2006 10:22
Re: saw today how small puffers are!! #6
Cheers sam - the fish shop near me sells archers, mono's and scats aswell as a few other brackish type fish.

Quick Question:

What crabs can you keep in brackish water?
I saw a setup that was 3/4 water 1/4 land and they had about 4 archers and a few monos, a small puffer (in a cave)and a couple of reddy/blue crabs.

Is this safe?
makosam makosam
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Hampshire
  • Posted on: 2/2/2006 19:41
Re: saw today how small puffers are!! #7
yes, i see no reason why not. The crabs are most likely a species of fiddler crab (most commonly know as rainbow crabs in the aquarium trade) and having an area for them to spend some time on land is essential for their well-being. Often this is done just having a sloping sand bank or similar on one side of the tank, or by having some large branches coming out of the water.

Mind you, it must have been a good sized tank! Archers are quite large, and mono's can be too, though they are moderate sized brackish fish the archers, if healthy, can get to some 10 inches! Sounds like a good set-up though - i have seen similar run successfully in public aquaria. I guess my only worry for the crabs might be the puffer, if it got hungry it might try and have a go!! Mind you again that would depend on the species of puffer, the size of the crab, and whether the puffer was one of the more intellegent of its kind Having something cave-like is great for puffers, mine like to lurk in the holes in my rock formation (i say lurk, sleep would probably be more fitting.....)
voycey voycey
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Midlands
  • Posted on: 3/2/2006 10:15
Re: saw today how small puffers are!! #8
okay I think you have just swayed me.

Im going to remove my bottom tank from my 3x4ft stand and put it on my desk,
Im then going to use some eggcrate foam and build a bank comning out of the water, might go for a mangrave setup :)

then will get a couple of archers, and a few bb gobis, a couple of small placid puffers (avec caves and all sorts) and a couple of rainbow crabs and see how i get on from there.

The only problem is my lfs doesnt do brackish and its a long journey to return any that dont get on :(

Will have a think and let you know!