« 1 (2)
Fishadmin Fishadmin
  • Webmaster
  • Webmaster
  • From Spain
  • Group: Webmasters Registered Users LFS Caresheets Basic Membership Advisers
  • Posted on: 19/5/2004 14:19
Re: How to cycle a tank using the fishless method #11
Is the carbon/zeolite not separate from the biological sponge?

Quite a few filters use a mixture of filtration media but I've only seen ones that have separate cartridges for each.

If they are separate and the sponge is dirty only wash it using water from the tank, not the tap.

Fishadmin
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Image Admin Caresheets Moderators Advisers
  • Posted on: 19/5/2004 16:46
Re: How to cycle a tank using the fishless method #12
Hello there adeandsu and welcome to fishkeeping I am not familiar with your filter so will check it out see what I come up with and get back to you unless one of the others can help before then.
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 19/5/2004 22:21
lseaton lseaton
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 20/5/2004 10:30
Re: How to cycle a tank using the fishless method #14
Hi

I had the exact same filter and you are absolutley right when you have to replace the filter you will lose all the good bacteria in the filter.
The only way i could get around this was to get a 2nd filter soon after and let that one build up the good bacteria before the other got replaced and just replace them alternately so i always had a mature filter.

The fact you can't seperate the carbon is also a knightmare when you need to treat the tank with medicine as the carbon just absorbs it all.

I replaced mine in the end as i don't think it was powerful enough for collecting all the waste caused by my messy Goldfish
Resized Image
adeandsu adeandsu
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 20/5/2004 13:44
Re: How to cycle a tank using the fishless method #15
Thanks everyone.

Goldy - Yes, that's my filter. I haven't got a testing kit yet (job for the weekend) so I don't know how well the cycling is going. Unfortunately I went in the deep end with my new tank and fish straight-away (like so many others on this forum) but I'm trying to remedy my mistake by following all the great advice on here. - I also know that my tank is way too small (for optimum growth, they're tiddly at the moment) for the fantail and oranda I have, but as long as they're safe I can start saving for a bigger tank with my mind at rest.

Fishadmin - as Iseaton says, this filter has the carbon/zeolite and sponge in the same unit - looks like Penn Plax have compromised on performance in order to maximise ease-of-use!

In light of what Iseaton says, another question - Does the water have to be pulled through the sponge for the bacteria to do their job properly? When I replace the filtration unit would leaving the old one on the floor of my tank until the new one is mature do any good?

Thanks,
Ade
Looking after Cadbury (a chocolate Oranda) and Tips (a red fantail).
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 20/5/2004 17:12
Re: How to cycle a tank using the fishless method #16
The filter has to be working and pumping oxygen through the sponge for the good bacteria to survive or build up if new, as it starts to die off after about 20 minutes when turned off. There are some like fluval that have filters with 2 sponges which means you can replace one sponge and the other later so its saves you having to start from scratch. you may have no option but to just replace the sponge in the one you'v got although if you squeeze some of the old filter gunk into the new one it will help to seed it, then keep a close eye to your water, testing and regular water changes, like lseaton its always good to have a back up just in case.
adeandsu adeandsu
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Posted on: 20/5/2004 20:17
Re: How to cycle a tank using the fishless method #17
Thanks Goldy

Looks like it's another filter for me then!

But then, I'm already hooked - I've started trying to work out the biggest tank we could fit in our house!

Ade

Looking after Cadbury (a chocolate Oranda) and Tips (a red fantail).
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 3/6/2004 16:50
icthytitch icthytitch
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Cleveland
  • Posted on: 6/7/2004 15:47
Re: Fishless cycling revisited - has been moved #19
Hi adeandsu, if you are planning another tank there is a way to start your new tank without doing a full cycle, put the filter you intend for the new tank on the existing tank. once this filter has matured on the old tank , say 2 month just to be sure, then it can go on your new tank & you can add fish to the new tank much quicker, just monitor the water & dont add the fish to quick.
HTH
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 7/9/2004 16:16
Re: Fishless cycling revisited - has been moved #20
Thats just what I do good advice there ichytitch