ilovefish22 ilovefish22
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Midlothian
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 12/5 20:45
hi, trying to save my fish #1
I have one platy, in a 70 litre tank.
She is about six years old. She was the only baby that survived so the older ones i had have all died over the years.

My tank is heated to 22 degrees
My water condition, using the api test tube testers is:
ammonia 0.25
nitrate zero
nitrite zero

I did have to change my filter a few months ago but i used microbe lift nite out 11 and had two filters running for a while to until the new one established.

For the past week my fish has been lying on the bottom a lot. she does at times come up to the top but quickly goes back down.
Her scales seem rough and raised and she appears bloated. Her gills are also red. she also has black spots on her tail end.

I have done two 50% water changes and used microbe lift nite out 11 both times.

i take her out using a plastic tub to help her get to the food but she does not appear to be eating any more.
I appreciate that she might just be old but i want to give her the best chance.
I am not sure :
should i increase the water temperature ?
should i add salt and does it have to be aquarium salt?
should i try swim bladder treatment which i have already ?or another product ?

any advice would be so appreciated.

Attach file:

jpg  20498_627d638503daa.jpg (2,214.10 KB)
20498_627d638503daa.jpg 4032X3024 px
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 14/5 13:20
Re: hi, trying to save my fish #2
You can try dosing with Esha 2000, but I wouldn't be too hopeful, to be honest. She looks to be dying of old age. 6 years is a very good life span for a platy.
ilovefish22 ilovefish22
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Midlothian
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 17/5 21:56
Re: hi, trying to save my fish #3
Hi, thanks for taking the time to reply. i know at realistically it looks hopeless.
i took a picture of her to my local aquarium store and they diagnosed dropsy. i have been treating her with aquacare anti bacteria solution and aqua care tonic salt.
they also tested the water which was fine apart from PH of 8 which they said is ok for a platy.
she does seem to be a bit more lively although she still sits on the bottom. she is less on her side now. her scales on one side look a bit better but other still looks like pinecone.
However she is not coming to the top for food i have been removing her twice a day and putting her in a plastic dish in which i put lots of food, i put a hot water bottle underneath to keep the water warm. i leave her in this for about 20 minutes so give her opportunity to eat something. the store also gave me vegetarian food for her which they said is the best.
I place her back gently in her tank using a soup spoon which she tolerates well, that way all the uneaten food does not go into the tank.
i have one more dose of the anti bacterial lotion to give her tomorrow.
i so don't want her to suffer, but i also dont want to give up on her too soon.
i was going to get some clove oil but i have read that you need vodka as well ?
I didnt know that and have used it twice in the past and never used vodka, now i am worried that due to my lack of knowledge have put live fish down the toilet and that is really distressing.
It is so traumatic just the thought of it.
It would be a relief is she passed naturally.
i know that this is probably a stupid question but do you think she will be in pain ?
I also read that you can buy stuff from the vet that puts them to sleep but i dont know the name of it. I so want to do what is best for her.
Thanks again
Liz
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 18/5 18:34
Re: hi, trying to save my fish #4
Esha 2000 can help with dropsy. If it comes to putting her to sleep, you don't need the vodka - clove oil alone will put a fish to sleep. Alternatively, you can use an overdose o a fish anaesthetic called Aquased. https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Vetark-Prof ... aquased%2Caps%2C46&sr=8-3