Staceyn Staceyn
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 5/1 12:12
Fishless cycling query #1
Hello helpful fish fans!

I am cycling my new tank and am wondering if I have done something wrong.

I have just tested the nitrites and nitrates, the nitrites are 2ppm and Nitrates are 160ppm. According to the very helpful article on this website the nitrites should start to fall and the nitrates rise. However the nitrites have risen as have the nitrates.

Is this normal?

If not, how do I rectify the situation.

Many thanks in advance for your wise words of advice 😊
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 6/1 11:30
Re: Fishless cycling query #2
Can you run us through what you have done so far to cycle...i.e what ammonia source you are using and how much/how often you are dosing?
Staceyn Staceyn
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Posted on: 8/1 12:49
Re: Fishless cycling query #3
Thanks as always for responding.

I have been using household ammonia and fish food flakes as the source of amonia.

I have tried to keep up testing for Ammonia everyday but sometimes have missed days and a few times the amminia levels have dropped to zero. I have been using the calculator on the fishless cycling article to work out how much to top up the Ammonia.

Yesterday when I tested the Nitrates and nitrates levels hadn't changed at all from a few days earlier.

I haven't done a water change yet as I am waiting for another bucket to arrive so I can dechlorinate enough water to put in the tank. As soon as it arrives I will do a partial water change to see if that helps the Nitrate levels.

The filter cartridge has now been in for more than a month. Would changing this help?
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 8/1 15:31
Re: Fishless cycling query #4
A large (80%) water change to reduce nitrate is a good idea. AT high levels it can interfere with the nitrite test. After the water change doe ammonia back up to the level you've been using then test after 24 hours and post your results here. Don't change the filter cartridge as that will throw out all the good bacteria you've been growing. Just rinse in water taken from the tank if it's clogged up.